Is this update error an issue or no? Missing AUR Packages: libopenaptx

I would just remove it.

Hmm, is there like an autoremove command like there is for apt that would remove packages no longer needed? Or is that something that’s not advised unless you know what you’re doing?

@Scotty_Trees
I thought it was needed so i installed the git version from the AUR but it isn’t needed. My mistake sorry!

1 Like

You can remove orphans.

In this case, it is probably easier to just remove it.

1 Like

No that is in Debian. You can use pamac to remove it or as @dalto showed in the above post. pacman -Rc

1 Like

sudo pacman -Rc libopenaptx or no need for sudo?

You need sudo.

1 Like

@dalto @ricklinux Alrighty, looks like we figured it out! Thanks guys for the assistance, it was a pleasure working with y’all :wink:

It’s all @dalto. He’s the go to! :+1:

1 Like

Just a little more concise if anyone is searching similarly and finds this thread:

TL:DR as follows:

You get this because libopenaptx is no longer an AUR package. If you search for it, it’s no longer here: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=libopenaptx

It does have libopenaptx-git.

If you have it as a dependancy of something - they will more than likely add libopenaptx-git as a replacement. If it’s not as many suggested - you can simply remove it from your system. BUT since yay looks at all your packages to upgrade - and there’s nothing in the AUR by that name - it says it’s “missing.” If it’s installed as a dependancy of something - you should let that maintainer know at the AUR if possible. More than likely whomever was maintaining it either realized the package-git was better, OR decided it was easier to maintain the package from git, created the new package and nixed the old one.

2 Likes

You get that message whenever a package you have installed is not available in the repos or the AUR. It doesn’t mean it was removed from the AUR. It could have been removed from the AUR, dropped from the repos and not added to AUR or moved from AUR to the repos but not yet available on your mirror. It also could be something you installed manually.

1 Like

I originally went hunting Arch to see.

https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/libopenaptx/

Edit: Then i found the git package and thought i needed it.

1 Like

Huh, I that I had no idea. I thought it specified the repo - I always thought if it said AUR - it came from the AUR. . . May as well delete my post then, it’s useless if that’s true.

After reading this thread I have removed that package. I will wait & see if the removal causes any loss of functionality. When I asked about this issue on IRC a member asked if I use bluetooth audio so I am worried if removing this package will cause any issues regarding connecting my bluetooth headphone.

I use a UE Boom bluetooth speaker and a pair of Samsung Galaxy earbuds. Both working on my end, even with the libopenaptx package removed, so I’d say you should be good to go and have nothing to worry about.

1 Like

That’s good news. Thanks.

AUR helpers consider everything that does not exist in one of you package repositories as a package originating from AUR.
Simply because they cannot (and don’t need to) know better. At least I’m not aware of any helper that carries it’s own internal database for tracking the installed AUR packages (besides -git packages, but that has another reason).

Package listed in package database(s)?
Yes -> Ok, let pacman deal with it
No -> Must be from AUR then, let's try find it
    Found in AUR?
    Yes -> Let's package it an give it to pacman to install/upgrade it
    No -> "Missing in AUR"
4 Likes

Sounds good to me! I’m still learning too it seems. That makes sense though, no real need to be more specific since it’s really up to us to maintain our own system.

Thanks!

1 Like

Latest Comments

katt commented on 2021-07-30 09:17

@joe733 it’s in the official repos now

EDIT: Apparently it has just been removed and replaced with libfreeaptx.

joe733 commented on 2021-07-30 09:07

is libopenaptx removed from AUR?

[11:19:41] joekamprad :: Ungeheuer64  ➜  ~ » pacman -Ss  libfreeaptx      
extra/libfreeaptx 0.1.1-1 [Installiert]
    Open Source aptX codec library

2 Likes

Not sure if it helps at all, but I already had libfreeaptx installed on my system.