Is there an issue with the AUR?

Ah they’re on it.

Who knows when it’s merged :slight_smile:

https://github.com/moson-mo/yay_fix

5 Likes

I just use yay

Thanks @moson for the fix. It’ll save countless “help me update” threads that are sure to cascade without it.

1 Like

I do kind of have this image of scores of AUR users twitching and fist-clenching like addicts right now…beads of sweat forming on their foreheads as they wait for the “fix”…
:wink:

1 Like

Jaajaaa, sorry for inquiring … :roll_eyes:

yay :scream:AUR not working, but I do my weekly update with a glass of whiskey on Fridays! Noooonooo! I think I will need to switch to Ubuntu

truth

Just kidding :rofl:

5 Likes

:beers:
I put the package there as well:

https://github.com/moson-mo/yay_fix/releases/tag/v11.1.0_AUR_fix

5 Likes

Curiosity has gotten the better of me. Checking out the Paru git page, it would seem it’s from a co-developer of yay and there’s no harm in having both installed so…pulling paru from Git now…

Now, don’t take me too seriously…I certainly don’t :slight_smile:

“Yay has been broken for an hour! Arch sucks! I’m switching to Slackware 15!”

6 Likes

This is really a killer for yay though.

If Arch does not change it (e.g. redirect their .php), yay is stuck in a deadlock scenario and cannot update/fix itself. (vanilla arch)

3 Likes

Not really.

Once the yay fix is merged upsteam and AUR package updated, you can manually update it without the need of any AUR helper.

If you already have a yay build directory, git pull from this, then build with makepkg, and install with sudo pacman -U.

If you don’t persist AUR build directories use git clone [aur page].git , build with makepkg, and install with sudo pacman -U.

3 Likes

That’s fine if people know how to do that - for most people, yay will be dead because they can’t yay yay.

1 Like

The quote was assuming vanilla arch, anyone running vanilla arch should know how to use git, makepkg and pacman to install + update AUR packages.

If not the Arch Wiki AUR page is easy to find too.

4 Likes

Honestly, I just wanted an excuse to yay yay.

6 Likes

Actually, there are some residual issues with the aurweb v6 deployment:

4 Likes

That’s what i mean.

For EOS users it won’t matter because they’ll get a fixed ‘yay’ version from the repo. The “novice” Arch user though will have a hard time grasping whats going on.

On the other hand that’ll force users to investiagte and maybe understand what the AUR really is :wink:

1 Like

Best to leave the AUR alone for a day or two and let any aurweb regressions get identified and fixed; and aur helpers patched accordingly.

3 Likes

makepkg -si is also not really a complex procedure :wink:

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see that thread in the Arch forums.

Why is yay yay not working?

:grin:

Using vanilla arch you have to install your aur helper with git, makepkg and pacman anyway.

3 Likes