Is there a way to 'close to tray' for applications that dont include this option?

Hi,

I use jitsi-meet daily for work, and it’s an amazing application that gives zoom a run for its money. My only issue with it is that it doesn’t have a system tray icon I can use in KDE, which I find is critical for how I use my system.

I’ve accidentally closed the app by clicking X way too many times, which is just a subconscious impulse, mostly because almost all my other apps are set to ‘close to tray’ or ‘minimize to tray’.

That being said, is there anything I can do about this? I have tried hard to look around for a solution, but I came up empty-handed on this one.

Try alltray

1 Like

Isn’t this project outdated and discontinued?

It’s being maintained by an official Arch maintainers. It’s very likely that the updates they have done to it so far include security updates. Your best bet is to either try it or find another.

Another, more advanced option is to read the code to see what it does and try to “recreate” its functionality yourself.

fsearch and neofetch are examples of packages which are unmaintained but still work.

1 Like

I tried both alltray and kdocker, but neither did what I was hoping.

Alltray did work, but it doesn’t close or minimize to tray. It just puts an icon in the system tray for aesthetics, I suppose.

Kdocker didn’t launch at all, and I assume it’s because I am using Wayland on KDE 6.

1 Like

Open jitsi on a different virtual desktop.

Create a window rule that always opens jitsi on desktop (say) 4.
Create a keyboard shortcut, say super+z to swap to desktop 4.
Create a keyboard shortcut say super+x to swap back to workspace 1.

Picked z & x as they are next to super and I am left handed.

I do this for kitty, but with a script.

#!/bin/sh

if [[ "$XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" == "KDE" ]]; then
   qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin setCurrentDesktop 1        #<<<<<<<
   prog=kitty  #<<<<<<<<
fi

if [[ `pgrep -c $prog` == "0" ]]; then
    echo $prog
    $prog&
fi

### My script works for any of the WM/DE I use or 
### used to use,  stripped it all out.

Change #<<<<< Assign to a shortcut.

So the idea here is to swap virtual desktops as a workaround to closing to tray?

I guess with the “always open on desktop X” option will make it so that the user will be taken to the virtual desktop if the app is already open.

Yup, that’s the general idea

1 Like

I looked into this to be able to minimize Spotify, haven’t found anything reliable for wayland, Just hacks. For spotify I just use spotifyd and it works with any interface.

I must say, with all the mind-blowing possibilities with Linux, I’m surprised there isn’t a way to force apps to minimize and/or close to tray.

It drives me bonkers.

If it used to work with Plasma 5 and X11, it just means no one has recreated/updated it yet. That’s all.

Also, remember that this is not an important or even basic feature. It may take some time before an extension or package is created/recreated.

As far as I can tell, though, applications like alltray didn’t do anything other than dock apps into the system tray.

The actual function of forcing an application to be able to close or minimize to tray is one I have yet to see.

I may be wrong but that’s what I’ve gathered thus far.

Looking at some of the documentation, it seems it only worked properly with KDE 3, not 5 nor even 4. Furthermore, it’s been around since 2008, but was only adopted by an Arch maintainer in 2022, and only has 61 stars on GitHub.

I say this to reiterate my point about its importance.

Users like you — those who want to dock any app in the tray — are a minority in the Linux world and the computing world in general. There used to be apps like this for Windows, and they too were not used by many and have since been discontinued.

So, yes, most devs don’t see closing or “forcing” an app to tray as an important feature, as such they don’t include it in the app, and other devs no longer see it is a market need.

Apps like these are an example of one person wanting a feature, making it for themselves, then thinking, “Maybe others will want it”. But, when they release it, not enough people want it, and they may even get too busy to maintain it, so it dies eventually.

1 Like