Is Microsoft Sabotaging KDE from Within?

Hi Everyone,

In recent weeks I have been observing very “strange” things happening in KDE development. I wander if anyone of you have noticed, or payed attention.

The problem:
KDE persistently removes open source formats from KDE while promoting non-free software.

First we got the removal of formats fro AOL (Allience for Open Media) and now Xiph.org formats (Vorbis, aka ogg named after its container). All libre and free as in freedom, whout any patents from trolls like Microsof ( “Linux is a cancer”) or Apple which both hold patents on HEVC an AAC.

In the first case somoene had to go extra mile to remove avif (AVC1 encoding) support from “kimageformats”. But the subbotager did not remove avif.so from the system. Avif.so is the very library that supports avif and all avif.so file where intact in multiple subfolders; they were still there. But the system was stripped from this open source support (KDE was very reluctantd to add the support in the first place…). This all resulted in KDE total fail:

• Wallpaper rendering broken
  • Lock screen background missing
  • SDDM avif rendering gone
  • Dolphin missing thumbnails
  • Gwenview missing thumbnails
  • Gwenview not displaying photos
    Someone had literally stripped avif.so library from the very single format that it was to support, while leaving KDE with support for proprietary/patent-encumbered formats like HEVC/HEIF.

In the second case KDE subbotagers stripped Elisa Music Players (KDE’s default music player) from Xhip.org format Vorbis. This is libre open source library (vorbis-tools → oggenc) to play and create license free, high quality music (better than AAC). Yet while opening Elisa, which scans Music folder by default upon opening, all Vorbis .ogg files were missing from Elisa library, while all AAC were there (I had to make them to check, I don’t use non-free, non-libre software). Giving the fact that FFMPEG and GSTREAMER (gst-good/base) support playback of vorbis, someone had to strip the default KDE music player from this free and open source format. Someone had to literally delete the code.

On the other hand we also observe that KDE copies Microsoft Windows. For example: useless and multiple-click and very confusing “Icons Only Task Manager” (is it a luncher of an app, or is it an already opened app, what happeens when I click it? Will I minimize an app or open a sencond instance/window?), which Microsoft copied from other useless product called Apple OS. Other things are copy of confusing shortcuts from Microsoft and removal of others. Example being removal of universal (as inc ctrl+c or ctrl+v or ctrl+x) shortcut for Konsole- ctrl+alt+t or copying Microsoft shortcut for Dolphin- Meta+E. In Windows its “E” because they have this “Explorer.exe”. Universal shortcut (everywhere else, users using other DE’s an WM know) is Meta+F. “F” stands from “File” Manager (could be Dolphin, could be Krusader or Thunar, etc). Yet they insist on copying stupidly Microsoft.

There’s another issue: after 20 years of freedom, KDE introduces … spyware (ehm. telemetry, aka K-User Feedback). All data regardless of settings is gathered. CPU, RAM and HDD is used without posibility to uninstall the packages. "Trust us, we gather info, but you see: we don’t send it anywhere. So why are you insisting of it being there in the first place and using my HDD, my CPU, my RAM if you don’t send in anyway and why I cannot uninstall it? One HAS TO RECOMPLIE WHOLE KDE from scratch in order to remove it. It cannot be uninstalled. IT IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF SPYWARE.

There’s of course the issue of programming. KDE seems to shift toward making apps for Windows and paying (!) Microsoft for that (one has to pay MS in order to supress virus warning, so the app has to be registered with MS keys, otherwise users will see virus prompt/warning). So if you donate to KDE e.v. money will go to Microsoft. Another issue is that a lot of times, KDE devs say “we couldn’t do it/go foreward because it wouldn’t work on Windows”- for example KDE Wallet (now you know why its crappy).

This whole behaviour makes me really sceptical. If you go extra mile doing all those things, no wander the user will not trust KDE and its developers, Like Nate Graham or Antonio Rojas. Something has to be done, otherwise KDE is doomed by ever constantly more bold sabbotagers.

2 Likes

What? Where?

kimageformats, and Elisa, read above.

both times I reported bugs to KDE, kimageformats might be already fixed, but some svn repackaged versions (5.100 the last time I tested in Endeavour) were broken. Elisa is broken, I posted it on bugs.kde.org.

Without any direct references this just reads like some serious FUD.

As opposed to sabotage, most of the things you are referring to sound like bugs.

Please share the commits where this is happening.

Uhh…this is just your personal preference. I vastly prefer the icons only task manager.

This isn’t only KDE’s fault. It is a side-effect of the Arch packaging standards.

That being said, it is pretty much a non-issue. It doesn’t transmit anything by default and what is logged is minimal enough that it won’t have any meaningful impact on performance or system utilization.

8 Likes

kimageformats seems to be intact now.

I agree on that criticism with @sonic since it was out, that to me seems prettty unacceptable in Linux world.
Why not make it a package, so you can completely cut out the code out of there?
Assuming it’s needed, which i really doubt.

I don’t trust anyone, especially those who produce bugs (which is every developer ever) :laughing:
That opt-in only can be easily turned opt-out because of some oopsie, so i’d love to not have that at all…

Maybe there is a way to report that packaging issue to Arch devs in order to just exclude that possibility altogether?

Oh and on icon-only panel - i don’t care who does that, to me that was always the best way. :upside_down_face:

It is a package on some distros.

You could try opening a bug and see where it goes.

1 Like

That sounds like you already know where it will go… :rofl:
Besides i’d have to register there first…maybe i should though.

Can you give an example?

Kate starts slowly. Its “just” IDE/text editor (great app!) but as for what it is its starts too slow, because of Kuserfeedback. On this note its not just “we don’t send” it anywhere, but the principle. My computer, my CPU, my RAM, my HDD. 100% goes to MY task. Its the principle. One foot in the door in the first place. Small steps and then what? And millenials won’t care. And why stripping avif.so (it has only one task!) from doing what it was supposed to do?! Go inside kimageformats, go deeper, go inside avif.so, gout it out, leave it there and voila. Who deleted the code. And now someone decided that Elisa music player, default on KDE doesn’t deserve to display .ogg in its library. Who deleted the code? But, of course, AAC or HEIC/HEIF (whatever this Apple/MS HEVC is called) should be left intact. Well delete libre/freedom software and leave patent-encumberd and get license and pay Apple, Microsoft and Fraunhofer license feed. You see other formats (better, but without marketing) “don’t exist”. Is this the goal? I am for freedom. I’m like RMS! I will not give up! Even if I have to start an olnine campain against Antonio Rojas and Nathaniel Graham from KDE e.v. and… the payments for the keys…to MS from peple who donated to KDE e.v.!

:+1:

I also would like to see.

Err…debian I think?

To be more specific, it is a separate package on Arch too. It is just required because support is compiled in.

I have no idea what this is in reference too in my post.

1 Like

Yeah well…you know what i mean :upside_down_face:

Yeah, I was just clarifying my earlier statement. I think we are on the same page. I am saying it is optional on some distros.

1 Like

I don’t have any problem to give usefull (for them) informations about my system to the kde team. Did you even read what they collect ?

I can even share what informations they have about my system :
.local/share/plasmashell/kuserfeedback/audit/ : https://pastebin.com/N0u36HBY
.local/share/discover/kuserfeedback/audit/ : https://pastebin.com/5RSjW5Kb

As you can all see, they funnel so many critical information. Also each log is 2,2kiB, this will fill my ssd super fast :sweat_smile:

I have no issues with KDE Plasma. No bugs, no complaints, everything just works flawlessly i might add. Kate works great! I agree this is all FUD!

3 Likes

Again, what you are referring to sounds like bugs, not sabotage.

The first step, is to review the commits. Until that is done it is just meaningless FUD.

2 Likes

Really? Do you know exactly what the microcode in your CPU does? Are you sure there’s no (real) spyware hidden in your drives firmware? Are you 100% certain that the Bios/UEFI does not contain a backdoor?

2 Likes

More like 100% sure it does, along with Intel ME or same AMD crap. :rofl:

P.S. Which is horrible, just to be clear :male_detective:

2 Likes

Hi all. I’m a new forum user and just as a request… if this thread remains open could a moderator edit the title to make clear that this is mere paranoid nonsense? Because I hadn’t seen this thread, went “wait, what?”, and then wasted 5 minutes before noticing this was complete bullshit. Never going to get that time back again…

4 Likes

I definitely understand your point. I think a user has to read more than just the title to get a clearer understanding of the issue related to the title of the post. I find a lot of posts lack clarity in both the title and or the post. Not sure that can be fixed. Some people just don’t know how to explain in simple terms what they are trying to get across. Other posts sometimes are just rants. :man_shrugging:

I agree it can be a total waste of ones time.