Is it possible to get a copy of the default EndeavourOS KDE plasma theme? (I'm trying to change the tasbkar colour without changing anything else)

:warning:

Sudo shouldn’t be used to create files/foldesr under home directory

Thanks pebcak. Edited to reflect this.

1 Like

… not only I don’t have the “look-and-feel” folder, I don’t even have the “plasma” folder where the “look-and-feel” is supposed to be.

I’m not sure what “~” is, or what it means to be “using it the way intended”…
what I do is just. I copy the directory from here, I go to Dolphin, I click on the pathway (the thing above the folder contains), I rightclick on it and select “Edit”, I erase everything in there, I paste the direstory and I click enter.

I also did all of the commands you have posted initially, except for the last one, because well, I got stuck with an error on the command before the last one.

that’s a command that I should try, right?..

this one also says:
mkdir: unable to create catalogue «/home/blindfolded/blindfolded/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/com.endeavouros.breezedarkeos.desktop/»: No such file or catalogue

Should be:

mkdir ~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/com.endeavouros.breezedarkeos.desktop/

… same result. u_u

Ok i’ve just tested, on a fresh install you apparently don’t have ~/.local/share/plasma

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel

And you should be good.

2 Likes

so after this, I retry the command that had the error, and then the last command, right?

Exactly :+1:

1 Like

oh wait. But that command was written before pebcak arrived and you started writing all commands starting with “mkdir”… :"d
or is that not a big deal and I should still do it the way it was written originally?

You can get back to:

cp -r /home/blindfolded/git_dl/eos-settings-plasma/usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/com.endeavouros.breezedarkeos.desktop/ /home/blindfolded/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/com.endeavouros.breezedarkeos.desktop/

sudo rm -r /home/blindfolded/git_dl/eos-settings-plasma/
1 Like

hmm, so… this did the following:

as you can see, I have a second “Breeze Dark EndeavourOS” now. It’s been added to the selected section (the one highlighted in purple on the left). It has no gear (I’m not sure whether it’s supposed to) and when I try to apply it, it doesn’t get highlighted in a purple border, like the first one is.
the section that I outlined in a green rectangle, nothing new was added there (I assumed THAT is the “Plasma theme”, but to be honest, I’m not sure which one is, since I have a Russian translation here and the upper one is like “Design of the working environment” and the lower one is like “Design of the desktop”)

Its because you already have the same theme. And kde only keep one or at least use the oldest one.

For starting customizing your theme :

in dolphin go to

~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel

and rename the folder like this “com.endeavouros.breezedarkeos.custom.desktop”

then in this folder, open metadata.desktop and edit like this (i give you only the line you need to edit):

Name= Breeze Dark EOS Custom

X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=com.endeavouros.breezedarkeos.custom.desktop

When you done, save and relaunch the setting panel and you good to go.

1 Like

… I think I just made a mess.
so I was following these instructions.
I was editing the file using LibreOffice Writer, which saved the file in “Text” format by default after editing.
but while editing, I noticed that I don’t have the second “Name=com…” line. I decided to look for anything similar and noticed the line that says: “X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=com…”, so I pasted your input there. I saved the file. I restarted the “Settings” app.
my custom theme got saved literally without a name.
moreover, when I try to apply it, it applies with light mode instead of dark mode.

and there is still no gear icon anywhere to see, which I need to use in order to change the taskbar colour (which is my main original goal)
I… am not sure what to do at this point :smiling_face_with_tear:
but I wanna thank you a lot for spending the time to try to help me.

edit: oh and, I forgot, after all of this, when using Dolphin to go to
/home/blindfolded/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/com.endeavouros.breezedarkeos.custom.desktop/
it now gives an error that says: “File .desktop /home/blindfolded/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/com.endeavouros.breezedarkeos.custom.desktop/metadata.desktop does not contain the writing (or entry?) Type=…” (sorry for rough translation)

edit 2: nvm, I revisited the location and the error doesn’t appear anymore

When you need to edit config files, you should use Kate or Nano in the terminal for example :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve made a mistake, you right the second line to edit is : X-KDE-PluginInfo-name

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=
Name=Breeze Dark EOS custom
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Author=EndeavourOS
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Category=Plasma Look And Feel
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Email=info@endeavouros.com
X-KDE-PluginInfo-EnabledByDefault=true
X-KDE-PluginInfo-License=GPL 2+
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=com.endeavouros.breezedarkeos.custom.desktop
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Version=0.1
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Website=www.endeavouros.com
X-KDE-ServiceTypes=Plasma/LookAndFeel

[Wallpaper]
defaultWallpaperTheme=EndeavourOS
defaultFileSuffix=.png
defaultWidth=3840
defaultHeight=2160
1 Like

does that mean that my metadata.desktop file is now… wrong and doesn’t function in the same way anymore now that I edited it and saved it using LibreOffice Writer?..

It’s more because Kate/Nano won’t change the file extension. If your file is still metadata.desktop and not metadata.desktop.txt for example you good to go (deleting .txt is enough).

1 Like

actually well… I don’t know if it matters because there is still no gear icon to see, so I can’t get to changing the taskbar colour…

well, either way, thanks a lot everyone for your efforts

If you look, the eos theme is simply a preset with breeze-dark as theme and a predefined color scheme. If i understand your need, its breeze-dark that need to be edited. You have more work to do if so !

One lazy trick, if you have a blurry panel, you can simply edit your wallpaper and add the color you want where the panel is. (one fast way is to hide everything except you panel and take a screenshot that you edit).