Is it okay to use the live distro for browsing etc while endaevouros is being installed?

So, the title says it all.
Would using web browser etc during installation on a live iso cause any troubles for installation? Or is it fine to use other apps in the live media while the os is being installed?

Outside of possibly slowing down USB drive not much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It should be fine, unless something crashes, in which case you’ll have to reinstall… :slight_smile:

1 Like

what do you mean by crashes? The installer crashes or something else?

Yeah, if you run out of memory during install, for example, by opening a bunch of Firefox tabs.

okay, so i have to keep my memory in check, how much memory does calamares use btw?

For a 15 min install, why bother browsing?

5 Likes

No idea. Calamares itself should be quite light, but you’re running the Xfce desktop, too, during install.

The worst thing that can happen is that the install fails, in which case you have to start over. So feel free to try :slight_smile:

@sammiev I assume it’s an academic exercise, just out of curiosity to see whether it is possible. I can’t think of any serious reason, myself.

3 Likes

Yes. 

1 Like

I watched youtube videos from the live media during my last EndeavourOS install with no issues encountered.
So, I suspect that if you don’t open too many tabs, you should be fine.

5 Likes

I do it all the time. :smile:

7 Likes

How many times do you reinstall? :exploding_head:

5 Likes

Lots … :rofl: Testing…vm …bare metal! When i destroy stuff! Just for fun! Trying a new desktop. Trying a new distro. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

@ricklinux is a serial installer just like me although his illness far surpasses mine :rofl:

6 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

I’m really surprised i haven’t worn this system out already. Brand new Ryzen 3800X and i have probably installed 500 times. Now that’s brutal! :confounded:

Edit: Still don’t know anything! :rofl:

4 Likes

You know what they say, “503rd time’s the charm”.

:joy:

5 Likes

You didn’t know there was a Guinness world record for the number of Arch installs did you? :muscle:

Edit: It’s a good thing I’m not on Arm! :rofl:

5 Likes

I just finished installing Xfce/offline and the memory usage with only Calamares and Htop running was between 1.1 and 1.3 GB:

3 Likes