Interested in what you deem as most important to have on your system

Well, a lot like:

• Firefox, Thunderbird, tlp, gufw, tmux etc. have already been named.

Two other must haves for me are:

• wireguard
  • borgbackup
  • Seafile
  • veracrypt
  • keepass
  • qbittorrent
1 Like

For me, the must haves relate to work:

1. VMware Horizon Client.
    I found that installing it on arch via AUR is far less bothersome than trying to installing it on it’s “officially supported” platforms – Red Hat and Ubuntu. Both of those distros required me to create symbolic links of certain system libraries to get full support. This is not needed on Arch base systems like EndeavourOS.

2. Office 365 mail and calendar connectivity.
    There are several good options for this. Thunderbird with tbsync has good support for Office 365. One can export calendars in .ics format in Office 365 which can be picked up by orage in XFCE. (Download the ics file via a wget command. This can be set up as a cron job to keep things up to date.)
    However, the best support comes from the combination of the Gnome DE, evolution, and evolution-ews. Everything Office 365 mail and calendar related “just works” with this setup, which is what I use.

3. Other Stuff
    I regularly use deja-dup, timeshift, and clonezilla to keep backups of my system. Other than that, Aisleriot or a similar solitare game. :smile:

1 Like

On Cinnamon:

• Geany - wonderful text editor and light IDE

• Filezilla - to upload the files just changed in Geany

• LEMP services - for local web development

• Viber - because that’s what the extended family use to communicate, otherwise I hate it

• Virtualbox - because sometimes I have to windoze

• Clementine - because all the time I have to \m/ metal

• Vivaldi Snapshot - because I have to have the best browser for power users

• Thunderbird - because unfortunately the world revolves around email

• Libreoffice - because stuff needs writing, drawing and sheeting

• Gimp / Inkscape - because more stuff needs drawing

• VLC - because movies don’t watch themselves

1 Like

I have very simple needs.

1. Xfce
  2. Firefox
  3. Mousepad
  4. Xarchiver

I am more than willing to fetch the rest. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Can’t do without:
libmythes, mythes-en, hunspell-en_US and libreoffice-still for Office
ristretto, gutenprint and gimp for Graphics
smplayer, vlc, libdvdcss and clementine for Multimedia
google-chrome, thunderbird and transmission for Internet
etcher, epson-inkjet-printer-escpr, system-config-printer and xfwm4-themes for Settings

1 Like

My necessities aren’t too many really:

Audacity
Stella (I always liked Atari game systems - owned one when they were new (damn that dates me doesn’t it?)) :wink:
BalenaEtcher
AbiWord
gufw
Libdvdcss, libbluray and libaacs
gpodder
SuperTux 2
VLC

1 Like

In no particular order:

Steam
KeepassXC
Firefox
Thunderbird
GameHub
Libre Office
Calibre
SUSE Studio Imagewriter
Pamac
Vim

Most other programs I use on my computer I am fine with whatever the default is for the distro.

1 Like

This is almost identical to my setting except i do also use tutanota :slight_smile:

Hope to hear more about your usage regarding privacy. Maybe a seperate topic :):upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thank you for suggesting pachist! It’s great for when one’s installation inevitably breaks!

1 Like

yes pachist is a very underrated gem. The guy who wrote it used to “hangout” with us on G+ - and he opened my eyes to several things. I’m on Bspwm thanks to him too :laughing:

15 mins before the presentation is the most tempting time to do a full update of the system :slight_smile: Speaking from my experience:)
Other tempting times to do so is

• 4 hours before deadline to deliver important deliverables
  • at midnight before the day of release and so on.
  • Most funny one is during deployment of said deliverables on client system: “hmm this seems to take a while, let’s do a quick system update while I’m waiting…”
3 Likes

Firefox
MPV
Timeshift

That’s it, really.
I also have preferences:
Viewnior
Xfce4-terminal

Software that does not spy on you.
Open source is the key in this.

2 Likes

What I want from a system is to provide the tools (I prefer GUI tools) required to maintain the system as interruption-free and with as little effort as possible. What I mean is, for any arch distro (but I think this might apply to any linux distro) your only needed tool is a text editor. But I’d like the system to provide very easy methods to oversee drivers status (GUI mode if possible), automatically configure critical system parts like power management, system suspend, greeter etc. And also provide an interface for the user to configure them by themselves. For me one big plus for a Linux-based OS would be to offer out-of-the-box working Nvidia Optimus experience while providing support for most features offerd by the Nvidia GPU with no performance penalty (bumblebee doesn’t support Vulkan for example, and is known to affect performance drastically).
I am aware this is not the philosophy of Endeavour OS, however this is what I expect from an OS.

1 Like

Let’s wait for Spring and see what Nvidia has in store for us: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/news/nvidia-hints-an-open-source-driver-for-2020/2019/12/

1 Like

Tea Time. A little silly app that tells you when your tea is done. I have had it installed on all my systems since i first installed vanilla Arch.

3 Likes

Kupfer - a handy little launcher activated by hot key, similar to Gnome-Do or Quicksliver for MacOS.
Synapse - similar to Kupfer. I can’t decide which I like best so I install both and use both to keep comparing them.

1. weechat (community support)
  2. mumble (community support, a friend runs a server)
  3. shutter (best screenshot tool out there)
  4. vokoscreen (best screenrecorder), new version is called vokoscreenNG
  5. showkey (nice for screencasts)
  6. xcfa (cool for making music CDs from music DVDs)
  7. Kodi (nice to have a perfect database when you own a big movie collection)
  8. clementine
  9. openshot
  10. gimp (if not installed per default)

Every statement reflects only my own personal opinion. :wink:

There are some more tools but you only asked for 10. :smiley: