Installed EOS HP machine no longer boots from USB

Hello. Running manjaro for 3.5 years without a problem but today a system update made manjaro ubootable. It is very likely a nvidia drivers problem. Rather than hacking around with that, it seemed this was the time to switch my main computer to EOS. I did that last week on another machine no problems running kde. Today though I installed it and came out at the end with xfce but wanted kde, I am not sure where I went wrong. I had no options about nvidia drivers. Now I want to re-install but with nvidia and kde but my machine will no longer boot from the USB. I have legacy boot and not efi boot and disabled secure boot. Any ideas why I cannot boot from USB anymore? This will be a problem if I need to chroot from a live USB.

Are you sure you didn’t install the offline install as it is xfce and doesn’t give you the online options?

Edit: Does the computer not have UEFI?

You are right, I probably installed it offline. The computer does have UEFI. I will enable it again and try to boot from the USB

Yes, What you need is UEFI enabled, secure boot and fast boot off. When you run the installer do the online install and select KDE and also Nvidia drivers.

1 Like

Thanks ricklinux. Sometimes I just need a slap in the face and be told to think:)

So I reinstalled with kde and of course kept my home so kde picked up all my settings. Pretty well painless. I am now installing all my packages. It is working great so far and I am happier to have done this than work my way through nvidia driver issues I was having before. I am starting to realize why Linus Torvalds gave nvidia the finger.

@duple
I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 on one of my Intel systems so i feel your pain. I wanted to ask how the 4k screen worked out on the laptop as i have an HP with a 1920X1080 screen but it’s high DPI and everything is very small. On KDE it’s okay because i set Global Scale to 120 under settings display & configuration.

So I am bit at a loss here as to how to get at the very small features of my 4k screen large because when I kept my home from my previous manjaro install with the kde EOS install, it just picked up all the settings I had before. What I do remember doing before is setting the icon size in pixels and the scaling at something like 190% and it pretty well all works. There are times when it does not though but they are rare. Obviously I did something in a config file someplace on my /home that makes it work. Where do you think that would be? I could send you the contents of what is there if I actually knew where to look.

I have this strange kind of linux knowledge because I pretty well learned anything I know by myself. It means that I may have a quirky understanding of things. I may understand some things well and others practically not at all. I am not the best in helping others because I am bit too trial and error.

If you have KDE on the 4k screen go to settings, display & monitor and set the global scale. You can also change fonts and size in settings under fonts.

So my screen resolution is 3840x2160 with 200% scaling and it works pretty well.

1 Like

If you have it installed now and working maybe you can mark it as solved?

1 Like