Installed EndeavourOS but Broadcom BCM4312 Wi-Fi isn't working

I just installed EndeavourOS on my old DELL Vostro 1520 but Broadcom BCM4312 Wi-Fi isn’t working

I entered command…

$ lspci -k	

0e:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
	Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
	Kernel modules: ssb, wl

after some googling, I tried installing “b43-fwcutter” as this featured in a lot of the hits,

$ sudo pacman -S b43-fwcutter

but it was already installed…

so I tried to install another driver that I found in my google results…

$ sudo pacman -S firmware-b43-installer

but didn’t work, got following result…

[hugh@DELL-Vostro-EndeavourOS ~]$ sudo pacman -S firmware-b43-installer
[sudo] password for hugh: 
error: target not found: firmware-b43-installer
[hugh@DELL-Vostro-EndeavourOS ~]$ 

Then I saw what may be a possible solution here…

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1534362#p1534362

although involves some commands I’m no familiar with, but I thought I would give it a try…

the first step is …

$ wget https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/b4/b43-firmware/b43-firmware.tar.gz 

but this didn’t work, as I got following result…

[hugh@DELL-Vostro-EndeavourOS Downloads]$ wget https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/b4/b43-firmware/b43-firmware.tar.gz
--2019-08-04 20:28:07--  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/b4/b43-firmware/b43-firmware.tar.gz
Loaded CA certificate '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'
Resolving aur.archlinux.org (aur.archlinux.org)... 5.9.250.164, 2a01:4f8:160:3033::2
Connecting to aur.archlinux.org (aur.archlinux.org)|5.9.250.164|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2019-08-04 20:28:08 ERROR 404: Not Found.
[hugh@DELL-Vostro-EndeavourOS Downloads]$ 

perhaps the URL is not correct, but I’m no expert in these things.

I’m not sure of best way to fix this to be honest. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

does broadcom-wl works for you?

Thanks for quick reply fernandomaroto, I tried this but I got same message when I tried to install “b43-fwcutter” earlie, it says it’s “up to date – reinstalling”…

[hugh@DELL-Vostro-EndeavourOS ~]$ sudo pacman -S broadcom-wl
warning: broadcom-wl-6.30.223.271-122 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) broadcom-wl-6.30.223.271-122

Total Installed Size:  1.40 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                            [------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                          [------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                               [------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                         [------------------------------] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling broadcom-wl                            [------------------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Updating linux module dependencies...
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

Do you think there is anything else I could try?

sudo pacman -S broadcom-wl-dkms linux-headers

reboot

I would also remove the b43 firmware. b43 -fwcutter was already installed.

1 Like

I didn’t understand how you try to install the “43” firmware, you can try yay -S b43-firmware

thanks for reply ricklinux, I ran the command and it’s saying linux-headers is up to date, and asking me to remove broadcom-wl

[hugh@DELL-Vostro-EndeavourOS ~]$ sudo pacman -S broadcom-wl-dkms linux-headers
warning: linux-headers-5.2.5.arch1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
:: broadcom-wl-dkms and broadcom-wl are in conflict. Remove broadcom-wl? [y/N]

What do you suggest I do?

Sorry, i see it didn’t install with pacman and he tried wget and got certificate error on the site. So no it isn’t installed. I missed that.

1 Like

Yes the command will install the dkms version and remove the other and linux headers will reinstall that’s all.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated, I’m no expert on this, but I was wondering, should I still run command…

$ sudo pacman -S broadcom-wl-dkms linux-headers

and say yes to question…

Remove broadcom-wl? [y/N] 

or should I run command…

$ yay -S b43-firmware

thanks again

Yes to the question to run the first command. Reboot and see if you have wifi. If that doesn’t work which i believe it will you can try the other command using yay to install b43 firmware but try the first one and see.

well blow me down, that worked perfectly, great result…

[hugh@DELL-Vostro-EndeavourOS ~]$ sudo pacman -S broadcom-wl-dkms linux-headers
warning: linux-headers-5.2.5.arch1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
:: broadcom-wl-dkms and broadcom-wl are in conflict. Remove broadcom-wl? [y/N] y

Packages (4) broadcom-wl-6.30.223.271-122 [removal]  dkms-2.7.1-1
             broadcom-wl-dkms-6.30.223.271-20  linux-headers-5.2.5.arch1-1

Total Download Size:     1.52 MiB
Total Installed Size:  108.06 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        6.36 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 dkms-2.7.1-1-any                 51.4 KiB  62.4K/s 00:01 [------------------------------] 100%
 broadcom-wl-dkms-6.30.223....  1506.1 KiB   624K/s 00:02 [------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) checking keys in keyring                            [------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) checking package integrity                          [------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) loading package files                               [------------------------------] 100%
(3/3) checking for file conflicts                         [------------------------------] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) removing broadcom-wl                                [------------------------------] 100%
(1/3) installing dkms                                     [------------------------------] 100%
Optional dependencies for dkms
    linux-headers: build modules against the Arch kernel [installed]
    linux-lts-headers: build modules against the LTS kernel
    linux-zen-headers: build modules against the ZEN kernel
    linux-hardened-headers: build modules against the HARDENED kernel
(2/3) installing broadcom-wl-dkms                         [------------------------------] 100%

To load the new module, run the following commands as root:

rmmod b43 b43legacy bcm43xx bcma brcm80211 brcmfmac brcmsmac ssb wl
  modprobe wl

Or just reboot the system.

(3/3) reinstalling linux-headers                          [------------------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Updating linux module dependencies...
(2/3) Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install broadcom-wl/6.30.223.271 -k 5.2.5-arch1-1-ARCH
(3/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

reboot and now connected!

thank you both very much for taking the time to help me out. It is much appreciated :ok_hand:

1 Like

On behalf of @fernandomaroto and myself welcome to Endeavour! :grinning:

1 Like

is it now OK to remove b43 -fwcutter ?

$ sudo pacman -R b43-fwcutter

Actually it was already installed so leave it. But i don’t have it installed on mine so probably doesn’t matter. It’s not hurting anything.

1 Like

OK :ok_hand: thanks

1 Like

got to make clear, broadcom-wl or broadcom-wl-dkms is technically the same driver. only DKMS is you use a kernel like linux-zen and linux-lts you need also a module of those. thats why you need the DKMS driver and the headers of those kernels to compile a module, broadcom-wl is a module for the ‘linux’ kernel. but since some kernel modules is loaded, probably some conflict. since broadcom-wl was already there , i would say is a conflict…

is just i want to enlighted it… since you use linux kernel. :slight_smile:

I just recommend the dkms in case they load the lts kernel or something and then find out it’s not working.

thats also true :slight_smile:

and it is known that broadcom-wl-dkms is solving issues with not fully working devices, why? magic, it builds modules against running kernel … and the non dkms version have this prebuilded…