Installation ERROR

Thanks everyone for jumping in!
ricklinux, I did get the system up and running and am now evaluating it. To your question: I have the firmware in UEFI only mode, secure boot off, and no “fast boot.”
A point of interest, I use the 16 GB SSD intended for MS fast boot as a separate Linux install which I can choose from the firmware boot menu—so neither install needs to know about the other.

Bryanpwo, I appreciate all the effort you and the team have put into this project. I know it is early days still, and I will keep watching it.
An early comment, I saw some of the packages list stream by when I did an update and, in my view, it is far from a minimal install. Btrfs? Really!

That’s not us, that’s coming from upstream. Arch did make a lot of changes very recently.

Linux kernel, Grub, Nano, Firefox, Eos-update-notifier, eos welcome, gparted and yay are the packages we put in the mix the rest is upstream Arch.

1 Like

Bryanpwo, I beg to differ. The packages that were updated from the Arch repository were packages that the Endeavour OS team chose to include in their distribution. You certinally could choose to select fewer packages in your base install.

In fact, Arch has recently moved to enable finer granularity (fewer default packages in base). For Endeavour OS, I would really like a tight minimum number of packages for a base install.

For users who want more, they can either select them from Arch or maybe you could point users to pre-selected groups of packages for them to install.

That’s net-installer talk and we have a long way ahead of us with that one.

Also, we are still looking for people who can help us on the coding front, so if you or people you know can help us out, please you’re more than welcome to chip in.

Life caught up with all of us (the devs) and at the moment we’re investing less hours than before in the project.

Glad you were able to get it installed. Give it a chance and see what you think. I have tried and or used every Arch version I could get my hands on including installing Arch the Arch way. I was on Antergos until it shut down and moved over to Endeavour. I like it a lot and I hope you do too. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

some points to add:

• the issue for the crash on some Partition schemes is a long known Bug on installing Archbased systems with calamares.
    https://github.com/calamares/calamares/issues/1195
    –> the simple workaround is to erase the partitions on the disk before starting the installer, as calamares using the disk already before starting installaltion process itself.

• we do not develop the installer, like Antergos does before, we only hack it to work for EndeavourOS.

• The set of packages installed by default is already very minimal, as we do not ship a bunch of preinstalled apps.
    About Libs and stuff we do not go that minimal, as they may need disk space but they do not interfere with the performance of the system itself. Diskspace is not a big issue today. But we are still working on the changes after the Arch-Change from group to meta package and yes may we can remove some of what is in the list, but will need testing and research and some time.

2 Likes

Also, for a very minimal installer, the xfce desktop can be installed without xfce4-goodies. :wink:

PS: my first quote here​:tada::grimacing:

xfce4-goodies 38 packages may 8 of them are not needed but most of them make xfce4 a complete desktop. And why we must do a very minimal install?

The offline installer is there to provide a full-featured Desktop. (without a preselected bloat of apps)

The upcoming netinstall option will let you choose what you like as much as possible.

1 Like

the previous version of this post was meant for another thread.

yes… also kind of necrodumping to start writing on a post 2 month after last replay…
but discussion was on fire already when i got noticed …

So:

please do not necrodumping old threads!

open your own! two month is more then a century on a rolling release … (sometimes)

If you like to contribute some idea to the installed packages or anything else take a look here: https://github.com/endeavouros-team/EndeavourOS-archiso/wiki/EndeavourOS-ISO
And report your thinking on the forum, or start contributing with a pull request directly on GitHub.

1 Like

Sorry but i didnt said “we must”. :flushed: xgce4-goodies is like gnome-extra. and , i personally i can live with just this packages…Screenshot_2019-12-12_14-30-54 .and sorry if i was missunderstood with my english from Romania :joy: :joy:

All good!

What a user needs or want and do not want on system installed is very individual, but as i say the offline XFCE4 install will be for users do not want to configure every corner of the system and should war for almost everyone out of the box. And you can remove and anstall everything you want. It is your system and your choice.
But this is off the topic and an old solved thread, so please if you want to discuss something open your own thread.

1 Like

joekamprad, I added to this two month old post because the error image by OursBlanc looked almost exactly like what had appeared on my attempted install. In general, even if it is a somewhat old thread, I think it makes sense to keep likely-related subjects together.

I am responsible for an off-topic side-comment concerning my observation of the packages installed. I should have posted that somewhere else, or not at all.

1 Like

Nothing against you only a reminder, as it will be read by more users if you open a new post, you could also link to this thread. :hugs:

1 Like