Installation ERROR

Hi there. Sorry for my dirty ugly english.
I tried to install ENDEAVOUROS on my X230 Thinkpad laptop. Dosnt work.

I download the .iso, check the MD5sum, flash on a USB, boot on live .I used Gparted before the installation to clean thhe HDD.

I use the option “Erase the disk” for the installation, and after 9% of completion i have an error like this :

Thank yo so much for your help

Hello, OursBlanc, welcome to the EndeavourOS family.:grinning:
I think you have to create a new partition table like msdos or gpt in gparted.
start gparted -> Device -> Create Partition Table -> Optionally select a different partition table type from the list (msdos for bios systems or gpt for UEFI systems).
I hope, this can help you.

1 Like

I was going to do the same answer. Looks like you’re french, like me. @Bryanpwo, what about a french speaking section in the forum?

There already is one since the beginning of the forum.

https://forum.endeavouros.com/c/endeavouros-united/francais

Never noticed it! :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Gents
I started here in english to have more answer ; its fine :slight_smile:

What ? @FredBezies here ! That’s a suprise !

So… I followed the @antec1 comments… I created a MSDOS partition table (i repeat : my HDD was clean just with an empty .ext4 volume) and nowadays i have another error :

i dont understand :cry:

thank al ot for your help

Well… Trying to create a crypted volume? Could be the “bug” here. Calamares is not in the best shape for them now :frowning:

Well, as far as I know.

@OursBlanc your English is fine. Welcome.

encryption works only if a single partition is encrypted, and will fail on every other way to use it, known bug on calamares with archbased installes.

I get exactly the same error as OursBlanc (only in English!), except my install reported “type: gpt” in the “Create a new partition table” section.
Mine failed almost immediately.
I am installing on a ThinkPad T450s with a Samsung SSD using the latest (2019-12-03) installer.

Looking through the other replies:

• I did not “clean” or reformat the SSD. (It has an old install of Antergos on it.)
  • I selected erase whole disk. It defaulted to EFI and GPT. (As it should: I do not have “compatible” mode enabled in the firmware.)
  • I did NOT select encrypted volume.

I am new to EndeavourOS, but not new to Linux or Arch.

Thanks!

Hello @BobCollins
Sometimes Calamares for what ever reason has an issue with overwriting the partitions. If you boot up on the live ISO start gparted and click on device create partition table and select GPT. Then you can close gparted and launch the installer and go through the same process selecting erase disc with or without swap. Hopefully that works for you.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response ricklinux. I will give it a try, but I’m not sure that what you say makes sense.

My SSD is already partitioned for EFI and GPT for the previous Antergoes install. You suggest that I partition it again with the same configuration. Then I should let the installer partition the SSD yet again.

If this works, the installer is seriously broken.

When you run gparted and click on device create partition table and select GPT it deletes the all current partitions and creates a single new GPT partition. Then when the installer runs it creates the partitions necessary for the install such as efi, root, swap if so chosen. I wouldn’t say the installer is seriously broken as this doesn’t happen all the time but it does … happen sometimes. It’s happened to me too. Not often but it has. I have just found that this method works usually when you come across this issue. Hope it works for you.

As you are here, I will update my experience.
It took minutes for gparted to scan my drives.
I finally got the display to “create partition table” and selected GPT.
I then got a gparted error indicating the existing partitions are in use. !!
Gparted suggests a reboot.

Respectfully:
Squid you have your stuff, like any installer …

All i can say is after the reboot you could try it again to make sure that it works. I have no idea why it would require a reboot other than something gparted didn’t like. Normally that’s not the case. Like i say creating a new GPT partition just deletes all current partitions and creates a new single GPT on the drive. The installer then runs and yes it uses gparted to create the partitions necessary for the install. You could also manually create them after creating the single GPT partion if you so desired. The installer isn’t broken trust me i use it every day testing and i do this multiple times an hour. I know it can be frustrating when something doesn’t work like it should but that’s software and or hardware. It happens and sometimes there is no explanation why. It just does and you figure out how to get beyond it. It could be anything that has caused a glitch. I usually try again and if it isn’t working i try another method. Sometimes it can be a faulty usb install disc. How did you create your usb. I use etcher always for my linux iso’s.

judd, I am not sure of your meaning here, but the point of having an installer is to make it easier to install. The more “gotchas,” the harder it is to use.

• So, overwriting an existing partition table is, at least, problematic.
  • What I have learned since my last post is that everything here seems to be sensitive to order. I just started up the installer (first screen), and then gparted was slow and threw errors. After a reboot and NOT starting the installer, gparted worked normally.
  • Also, another poster suggested not connecting to the Internet. Sounds reasonable because this is supposed to be a offline installer. Well, when I tried, the installer hung and said it needed an Internet connection.

I am excited by the idea of a maintained, quick-and-easy installer for Arch, but so far, it would have been easier to install the “Arch Way.”

Understand, our @developers work permanently and I have the solution for sure. Thanks and sorry.
@joekamprad
@manuel
@fernandomaroto

Hi Bob,

First of all nice to see you here, I understand your frustation. The current release is an interim release and Calamares pushed out a new version recently.
We will release a proper December release very very soon with the new Calamares version.

So if you want to give us a second chance, give us a week or so.

2 Likes

@BobCollins Not sure if you got any further after rebooting. Just wanted to ask if your laptop has UEFI and whether you made sure secure boot and fast boot were turned off?