Install sound switcher indicator

I’m trying to install the Sound Switcher Indicator application. Downloaded the tar file, extracted it and installed it with the python command:
sudo python3 setup.py install
When i try to start the application nothing shows up in my taskbar. Has anyone used this application and nows what to do to use this app ?

What is this, and why are you installing it using

?

There should be plenty of applets in the repos already, e.g. mate-media for MATE, or something more comprehensive like pavucontrol (not an applet, but…).

Have you tried running it from a terminal to see what output it provides?

I don’t know which DE you are using, but if you are with KDE there is a nice widget you can add to your panel, called “Audio Device Switcher”.
Here how it appears in my panel.

4 Likes

Is this widget also for switching to hdmi audio. Because that is why i want to use this application.

I can’t tell 100%, because I don’t use hdmi audio but it should recognizes all audio sources. Why don’t you try ? It’s easy to grab the widget to your panel and test it. If it does not work you can just remove it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I guess this is what @stephanh is trying to install:

2 Likes

Great widget @pierrep56, it now switches automatically when a hdmi cable is placed. Thanks.

2 Likes

That is the app. I have used this app before without a problem. I did a new install this morning and don’t seem to get it to work. Probably is missing some dependencies.

1 Like

I got this message when i start it from the terminal:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/indicator_sound_switcher/indicator.py", line 11, in <module>
    gi.require_version('AyatanaAppIndicator3', '0.1')
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 129, in require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace AyatanaAppIndicator3 not available

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/indicator-sound-switcher", line 32, in <module>
    from indicator_sound_switcher.indicator import SoundSwitcherIndicator, APP_ID
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/indicator_sound_switcher/indicator.py", line 14, in <module>
    gi.require_version('AppIndicator3', '0.1')
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 129, in require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace AppIndicator3 not available

You’re right, it’s a missing dependency.

$ pacman -Ss ayatana
community/libappindicator-gtk2 12.10.0.r296-1
    Allow applications to extend a menu via Ayatana indicators in Unity, KDE or Systray (GTK+ 2 library)
community/libappindicator-gtk3 12.10.0.r296-1 [installed]
    Allow applications to extend a menu via Ayatana indicators in Unity, KDE or Systray (GTK+ 3 library)
1 Like

Great ! Happy to hear it works. Have a nice musical experience :smiley:

3 Likes

@jonathon : After i installed it still gives the error message.

Which?

I installed : ayatana

pavucontrol can do the switching and is already installed per default:
2020-08-09_18-27
also handy → paprefs:
2020-08-09_18-28

1 Like