Install optional Kernels

I usually install different kernels in Antergos. I try that in endeavourOs and don’t get the optional kernels reference in GRUB menu. Need to install “grub-hook”. I think you need to put that in your installer.

Did you update grub?
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

this should autodetec all systems and kernels you have installed and display them at grub menu. In case you still don’t see them, maybe they’re inside “advanced options” on grub menu.

with grub-hook it do that automatically when install new kernels. It was the customer behavior in Antergos, never need to update GRUB2 manually. With grub-hook that’s now the same behavior. I dont now if Antergos have that or another script for that, and I could n investigate because I ditch antergos and start install endeavour in my production machine. BTW good start and congrats for all the team. :slight_smile:

1 Like

it’s an AUR package. We’re trying not to use many of them, since they cannot be trusted entirely.

thank you very much @manelpin

I understand. perhaps some script, or investigate Antergos for that.

1 Like

ok, thanks for the tip, maybe the other developers wish to add it then.

Good thing about the “normal” command, you just need to run it once, unless you’re always installing and removing different kernels.

1 Like

Antergos had some system hooks made on their own, afair

hello ,there is that too: alias update-grub=‘sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg’

1 Like

how do I install say the 5.3 kernel to run alongside the 5.2?
thanks

When a new current kernel is out it will replace the kernel you are running. Optionally you can have other kernels installed such as the lts kernel or the zen kernel or some other. You can’t run the 5.2 and the 5.3 alongside each other. This is Arch centric and doesn’t work like Manjaro is set up.

1 Like

depend how the kernel is named, but newest you have to build by your own, or install from a supported repo… RC can do fine but at the end a young kernel can give lot off error, sometimes people ccan complain about it.

EndeavourOS has package grub-tools that includes a hook to update grub.cfg with kernel install or remove.

1 Like

Arch has two main kernel packages: linux (5.2 series now) and linux-lts (4.19 series now). install them with pacman:

sudo pacman -S --needed linux linux-lts linux-headers linux-lts-headers
2 Likes