Install next to another Linux distrib

Hello,

I have Pop OS installed on a partition of my hard disk and I would like to install Endeavouros on another partition.

Endeavouros will install Grub2 and I am afraid of loosing access to my Pop OS. I am currently using Refind as boot manager.

How to create a USB disk just to boot on my current Pop OS installation before installing Endeavouros?

Thanks,
Vincent.

If you’re asking how to create a boot disk for Pop_OS! then that might be better directed to the Pop_OS! forum.

If you’re asking whether EndeavourOS will be able to boot Pop_OS!, then the answer is yes.

If you’re asking whether you can use rEFInd with EndeavourOS, then the answer is yes.

2 Likes

Just afraid of not being able to boot on Pop OS where I have all my work. I want to switch to EndeavourOS step by step.
According to your reply, I will be able to boot on POP_OS! just after the install of EndeavourOS, so let’s go for it, no need of any boot disk :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m triple booting W10, Mint, and EOS on a single SSD. This setup has never given me any trouble. In general if you install Windows first, non-arch Linux second, and arch-based Linux last it will work fine. EOS will hijack the EFI boot partition when it installs GRUB but it will offer you the choice of OS in the pre-boot environment.

Another thing to note is that entering the ‘BIOS’ will usually allow you to pass control back to the rEFInd entry - OR after booting any Linux, efibootmgr will allow re-ordering the “who has control” list any way you like. I’m running 5 distros on this machine (8 on another) under control of rEFInd - without problems accessing any of them.

Doesn’t Pop use systemd-boot? If so will rEFInd/Grub be able to boot that as well?

Hello all from EndeavarousOS.

Grub has been well hijacked. I’ve been afraid for a while I encrypted my partitionand and at boot the keyboard is not in french for numbers so I had the error message:
error: access denied
error: no such cryptodisk found
Which is not a clear message telling “wrong password”.

I think I will have a lot of fun with EndeavourOS, really excited :smiley:

Thank you all for your help.

1 Like

Step 0: make a backup.

2 Likes

Step 1: test the backup.

:grin:

Doesn’t matter to rEFInd - it’ll find it and boot it anyway (the same way that systemd-boot does, actually).

1 Like
To me, that's part of step 0 ;)

After all, if you haven’t tested your backup, you don’t have a backup…

1 Like