Install Failure

Convinced my wife to try Linux.
Grabbed her rig, completely formatted both drives, secure boot is off, etc. etc.

i get the following error towards the end of install

Boost.Python error in job "bootloader".
Command 'grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS --force' returned non-zero exit status 1.
Installing for x86_64-efi platform. EFI variables are not supported on this system. EFI variables are not supported on this system. grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: No such file or directory.

Traceback:
File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 476, in run
    prepare_bootloader(fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 448, in prepare_bootloader
    install_grub(efi_directory, fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 310, in install_grub
    check_target_env_call([libcalamares.job.configuration["grubInstall"],

File "<string>", line 7, in <module>

Help?

It looks like there is no valid EFI partition?
When in doubt, use gparted that’s installed on the boot image and partition manually before the install instead of letting the installer do the partitioning. Sometimes it just… fails at that.

1 Like

I started by formating both drives to be empty, I’m not so skilled at manual partitioning, got any links to a good walk through

One of those things I can do in my sleep, but am bad at explaining.
Anyone else having a good link?

In this case the setup is similar to mine I guess? 1 SSD and one HDD for data?

1 Like

1Tb NVME for main then a 1TB SSD for data

:astonished:
That’s a lot of space. My suggestion would be to put everything on the first drive and then just have the second for storage (as in not putting the official home partition on the SSD because then your entire first drive would be wasted since an Arch install is < 15 Gb total…).

Anyway, a funcitonal parition scheme would be on the first drive:

1. A 512 Mb FAT32 partition that you in the installer mount to /boot/efi (using the “Manual partiton” option)

2. A swap partition (as in formatted as “Linux Swap”) you make either about 2Gb if you do not plan to use hibernation on the computer, or equal to the RAM in size if you do

3. The rest of the disc as a single partition formatted as EXT4, mounted in the installer as /

4. Format the entire second drive as EXT4 and just leave empty for later storage unless you think there’s a chance you will revert it back to windows as some point while still having storage on it, in that case I would format it as NTFS (since Linux can read and write NTFS but Windows can’t read Linux file systems like EXT4).

1 Like

Maybe this video would help? The install process takes place @6:05

I use gparted to format the drive before installation, make sure you have the correct drive selected in gparted that going to be formated.

1 Like
EFI variables are not supported on this system.

I think I have seen this error mentioned in the arch wiki. Search for it.

2 Likes

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=249546

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/91620/efi-variables-are-not-supported-on-this-system#91623

3 Likes

Awesome guys, thanks for all the quick responses.

2 Likes

Sorry I missed that specific error.

mostly it is caused by simple booting in legacy mode or creating the ISO-Stick with tools changing the bootprocess of archiso…

2 Likes