iMac 2011 AR93xx not connecting to wifi router anymore

Hello everyone !

First time using EndeavourOS after being on arch for a few months, I installed it on an iMac from 2011 that I use as a TV/Media Center with Kodi

It worked flawlessly, apart from the wifi disconnecting every now and then for no reason.
I tried changing the channel from 5GHz to 2.4GHz since my router supports both and I heard it could cause issues on this adapter (Qualcomm Atheros AR93xx), so I changed it in the Advanced Network Configuration tool

After that, I couldn’t connect to the router at all. I tried turning on the hotspot on my phone and it worked well, both with 5GHz and 2.4GHz, but it still didn’t want to connect to the router, even after deleting the wifi config and recreating it…

I tried booting xubuntu from a USB stick, thinking it might help, but same issue

I reinstalled Endeavour completely and it still doesn’t to work. Is there a persistent config file somewhere else than the hard drive ? Can I do something ? Or did I just kill this machine completely ?
It still works fine with my phone hotspot

I use xfce4, and I have the latest iso, flashed my USB from balena etcher on my main PC, didn’t throw me a single error.

Does anyone have an idea ?

Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:
Caerroff

What is the output

inxi -Na

Edit: It should be using the ath9K module as far as i know. Should have bluetooth also on the chip? You can set bluetooth coexitence by this if it is the ath9k.

modprobe ath9k btcoex_enable=1

Have you checked the router wifi settings? What is it set for? 2.4 or 5.0 or both? What security is it using wpa wpa2?

for inxi -Na
it gives [caerroff@caerroff-imac121 ~]$ inxi -Na Network: Device-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM57765 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: N/A bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:16b4 class-ID: 0200 Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR93xx Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Apple AirPort Extreme driver: ath9k v: kernel modules: wl pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 168c:0030 class-ID: 0280

lspci says that it’s 03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR93xx Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

I don’t really mind if bluetooth is here or not, I won’t use it :slight_smile:

My router supports both, and is set to “both” on the same SSID, so there are not 2 Wi-Fi, only one with both bands supported. It’s using WPA2 Personnal

Yes, i understand it’s only one WiFi which is dual band. Have you tried setting the WiFi to try 2.4 Ghz only and then 5.0 Ghz only?

Edit: It just might be a kernel related issue. Have you tried it with the lts kernel? You can use the package akm to install the lts kernel. akm is in the eos repo.

It seems that your wifi adapter is working fine. Did you try troubleshooting the router?