If not KDE or Gnome, what other DE would you be using?

KDE for me!

3 Likes

I check in on it every 6 months or so. It is still pretty minimal from a functionality perspective.

1 Like

I’m still wishing for a usable Fluxbox setup. Oberon had a brilliant one on Manjaro but they dumped it a long time ago. I keep trying to get a similar thing working on Arch but I still lack the knowledge to make anything that good. I like Openbox too and I’ve just found a great implementation of that on SparkyLinux. I’m going to run that on an old desktop of mine. I can’t use it on my main rig though because it’s Debian, not Arch. Debian is good but not my preferred setup since I discovered Arch and Arch-based distros. One day perhaps I will have learnt enough! :grin:

Arcolinux also have a nice inplementation of open box. ArcolinuxB Openbox…

Would using xrandr work? I also like using the terminal to tweak these things in more detail if necessary.

I see that you you are not a big fan of gnome, that is ok. I am not bored, actually excited about the new gestures on touchpad, find it sleek. KDE looks nice but is boring to me (with all due respect).

Edit: I am not making myself popular :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit 2: don’t get me wrong, I think KDE is awesome, but sometimes I get bored if things don’t break :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You have misunderstood me. I tried GNOME repeatedly because I was bored at the time and wanted to look in again. I could have gone out with the dog instead, but I don’t have a dog.
After all, I only found that GNOME is nothing FOR ME!

Ok, thought you meant gnome is boring :grin:

Misunderstanding…

It may well be nice but the Arcolinux website puts me right off. It comes across like some weird university course/strange cult cross. I just can’t embrace it, even though it is probably fine. I don’t want their tutorials or videos, it’s just not my thing but thanks for the heads up anyway.

2 Likes

For sure that was my first impression too. But I spent a little more time last weekend, and discovered how I can combine their scripts to make my own homebrew distro with my favorite DE and wm. Pretty cool stuff.

Edits: Tutorials are quite neat but too many of them. Its because they show many different possibilities to combine your distro via arch.

2 Likes

@Zircon34 You say you get bored if things don’t break? Right, an Arch install with Enlightenment & Fluxbox as separate logins should keep you amused for a while. Good luck, hope you enjoy! :rofl: :wink:

Last week I installed eos with all the desktops listed on the arch wiki including cutefish :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I managed to login in all sessions except bswm that crashed my computer. :joy:

or just use Manjaro for a longer time

Yeah, too many options/possibilities. I prefer the K.I.S.S. approach. I guess if I gave it time it might be good. One day I might be able to do a total homebrew. That would rock. At the moment even LFS still scares the pants off me!

I used Manjaro happily for 7 years, and just thought the breakages were something that happened with an Arch-based distro. When their ethos became more corporate I discovered Endeavour and tried pure Arch. All of a sudden things didn’t break anymore, even with vanilla Arch. All this paranoia about rolling distros and instability with Arch is total nonsense. It’s the most stable thing I have used, although I have to pay credit here to Debian too. I do understand that both Arch and Debian may not be for total beginners but distros that are user-friendly but don’t mess with the underlying Arch/Debian setup are surely better than Manjaro or Ubuntu style distros?

3 Likes

I still like the idea of Manjaro and it is tempting to get a system that offers more stability through better tested software updates. Only, as we unfortunately know from experience, this only works in theory … Sheldon would say: BAZINGA!

Edit: Still, I keep Manjaro KDE in my closet as a plan B, but know what would come back to me with it.

For pure Arch I am too stupid and meanwhile already too old :frowning:

Better tested software updates with Manjaro and it’s “tweaked” kernel equals more stability?
I think it’s proven itself to offer less stability through repeated breakages! If you want an easy way to try vanilla Arch without all the hassle I would suggest you give Calam-arch-installer a try.
You are not too old or too stupid otherwise you wouldn’t even be on this forum, you’d be pre-ordering your crappy meal from the nearest drive-thru crappy McD’s and then get home to your sad Windows setup which would be receiving the latest 2-hour update nightmare. Believe! :wink: :grin:

1 Like

Totally.

What in the world. :mask:

Now there’s a thing i have been saying that for years. even got banned for life on a Arch spin forum, for saying the same thing. :grinning:

1 Like

I always use XFCE. Why? Because it does not break as frequently as Gnome or KDE. It is more stable. And it comes with all the features I need incl. tiling.

With all due respect I am objecting.

Just two recent issues with Arch:

• upgraded freetype2 (2.10.4-1 → 2.11.0-3) breaks Steam
  • upgraded opencl-amd (20.50.1234664-5 → 21.10.1247438-1) breaks darktable opencl

there have been more issues like that with mesa updates for example.

This does not happen with distros which have a good release management