If not KDE or Gnome, what other DE would you be using?

Yeah, Vim (especially Neovim) is good… If I didn’t have Kate, I’d use Vim, so Kate is somewhat replaceable (though, I still prefer it to Vim). But Konsole is not. Alacritty is good, but Konsole is just so much better.

Its a great wm but I found difficult to configure, to the point that I am frustrated forever with xmonad. I am not good at haskell.

Honestly that would be tough :slight_smile:

First of all, if those DEs stopped existing tomorrow, it would be interesting to see what happened to all the distros that are downstream from gnome. For example, would there be enough contributors to budgie that they could maintain mutter on their own?

After kde, I guess lxqt would be my next choice for my workstation. For my laptops I could use almost any stacking DE that isn’t xfce. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

$ pacman -Ss cinnamon
community/cinnamon 5.0.5-1
Linux desktop which provides advanced innovative features and a traditional
user experience

1 Like

MATE or XFCE. I use them since many years. They are matures, easily configurables, and do not need extensions or addons.

1 Like

XFCE. I would use it even know but I want to give KDE a try, since I heard it uses less resources than XFCE. Gobble gobble

2 Likes

Budgie is on something like v10.5.3 and while yes it does heavily rely on some aspects of Gnome, the devs of Budgie want to create their own window manager and a few other components so that they become less reliant on Gnome and more independent. I think that’s a step in the right direction. But that won’t be a reality until Budgie v11 is released, which at the moment hasn’t even started development yet. My hopes are to see some Budgie 11 progress in 2022, but that’s just wishful thinking of course.

1 Like

Hasn’t that been the plan for several years now? Hence the question of if they have enough contributors for that or not. :wink:

To be fair, the chance if gnome and kde both disappearing without something new rising up seems unreasonably low to being with so I am not sure it matters much. :sunglasses:

I’ll do my best to give my objective views on the current situation, since it’s hard to tell sometimes these things. Solus has a handful of dedicated, motivated, and passionate devs there’s no doubt about that in my experience with Solus. Their vision of a modern desktop built for modern hardware on a stable curated rolling release is not going anywhere anytime soon. The devs are very committed to that philosophy. Each dev operates a different DE essentially: one for Plasma, one for Mate, and another dev handles Gnome/Budgie, while another dev handles all the backend infrastructure and getting the relevant code changed or updated or migrated to whatever their plans are to future proof things and dozens of individual maintainers help handle all the package management.

One of the devs was busy getting their Masters so they took some time from upgrading things, to more just to maintain things for a time. They’ve still got to update a few backend things before they work on their new version of their Software Center and their new package manager Sol, but once work for that is on going and stable, they should be in a good spot to start Budgie 11 development. There’s a lot of other nuances to it that I’m leaving out or forgetting, but that’s what I can remember for right now. So my personal assumption is to hopefully see some development in 2022, but that is just my own wishful thinking of course since the Solus devs do not give out ETAs :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m currently on Xfce, and that is always my fallback DE, from when the undercooked Gnome 3 appeared in 2011, and set me distro and DE hopping.

Xfce for me. I try KDE and Gnome once in a while but always go back.

1 Like

What helped me getting started was watching tutorials on youtube, as well as using preconfigured xmonad and taking it apart, understanding things, breaking it several times. It’s a lot easier now when there is no need to recompile config for every little change that is made.

1 Like

That would be the logical choice, it is sort of xfce but qt style.

It’s like lxde with qt style. . .

Pantheon

Cinnamon or Deepin…

Have you tried it on arch? Works well?

@Zircon34
No, unfortunately not yet with Arch. However, for 6 months under openSUSE Tumbleweed. Pantheon is doing pretty well there
Via Gecko Linux you can get an ISO with which you can quickly install an openSUSE (Tumbleweed or Leap), with the Pantheon desktop. :wink:

2 Likes

I would prefer neither actually. I am an Xfce guy at hear, but recently decided to give Cinnamon a proper go and I love it.

1 Like

In addition to Xfce, I use KDE in parallel, I haven’t used Gnome for quite some time.