If I install Atlantis alongside my existing EOS, will it be distinguishable in GRUB?

Currently, I have the following entries in my GRUB screen:

$ grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg | cut -c -75
if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
  menuentry_id_option=""
export menuentry_id_option
menuentry 'EndeavourOS, on linux-lts' --class endeavouros --class gnu-linux
menuentry 'EndeavourOS, on linux-lts (fallback initramfs)' --class endeavou
menuentry 'EndeavourOS, on linux' --class endeavouros --class gnu-linux --c
menuentry 'EndeavourOS, on linux (fallback initramfs)' --class endeavouros 
	menuentry 'Neon GNU/Linux (on /dev/sda2)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --
	menuentry 'Neon GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.11.0-38-generic (on /dev/sda2)' --
	menuentry 'Neon GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.11.0-38-generic (recovery mode) (o
	menuentry 'Neon GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.11.0-37-generic (on /dev/sda2)' --
	menuentry 'Neon GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.11.0-37-generic (recovery mode) (o
	menuentry 'Neon GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.4.0-89-generic (on /dev/sda2)' --c
	menuentry 'Neon GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.4.0-89-generic (recovery mode) (on
menuentry 'UEFI Firmware Settings' $menuentry_id_option 'uefi-firmware' {
$ 

If I install the new EOS, Atlantis, over the existing Neon install, will I be able to tell one EOS install from another in the GRUB screen?

You donā€™t have to install Atlantis. Your current system is updated with the new stuff all the time. Thatā€™s the difference between a rolling release and a fixed one like Debian or Mint. Atlantis is our ISO update with new CEs and installer changes. Inside the main enos is the same.

If you install enos twice I think grub would get confused because itā€™s the same OS in 2 partitions.

1 Like

Yes, you will be able to see two different EOS installs if you install EOS alongside of EOS.

1 Like

menuentry ā€˜EndeavourOS, on linux-ltsā€™ --class endeavouros --class gnu-linux
menuentry ā€˜EndeavourOS, on linux-lts (fallback initramfs)ā€™ --class endeavou
menuentry ā€˜EndeavourOS, on linuxā€™ --class endeavouros --class gnu-linux --c
menuentry ā€˜EndeavourOS, on linux (fallback initramfs)ā€™ --class endeavouros

I am not sure if you will get an entry marked ā€œAtlantisā€ in the Grub boot menu to distinguish your both installs. If you have different kernels installed in them you could see the difference. You could however create a /boot/grub/custom.cfg for Atlantis and give it a convenient ā€œtitleā€ in your current install to be able to tell them apart in Grub boot menu.

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s true and Iā€™m not facing any ā€œdeal-breakingā€ issues to warrant a second install. All the same, Iā€™ll try the alongside option as see what happens.

As Atlantis is only Naming of the ISO file it will not change grub entry name, but you can do that manually:
Right after boot into fresh install:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

2021-12-02_14-55

and regenerate grub.cfg:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

4 Likes

Another way to distinguish between EnOS builds is to use rEFInd to do your booting. Not too long ago I set up a machine with ALL the different DEs available for EnOS (at that time) and the process and results can be seen on our Wiki - essentially I used file system labels and differing logos to know which I was booting into. Hereā€™s a simpler setup with more than 1 EnOS build on this machine - along with a Garuda or 2 and an Arch,

gar06

Custom grub entries can also produce whatever you want, so as always, your choice!

4 Likes

With the new installer shipping tomorrow, your new boot entry will show endeavour-xxxx with 4 random digits following to differentiate it from other installs.

3 Likes

This is not entirely true. While upgrading your system makes all the installed packages the latest version that is in the repos, it will not install any additional packages (unless there are new dependencies), nor remove anything.

So if the default packages in the new ISO differ from the packages you have on your system, no additional package will be installed to match the ISO image and nothing will get removed. This is, of course, a very good thing.

3 Likes

This is the most convenient for me :+1:

Edit: but see this clarification.

I like this background on rEFInd. How do i add a background. Iā€™m still using the base background.

Edit: I think Iā€™m going to revamp my installs and add some more.

I just want to point out ā†’ maybe I called it the wrong thing. This is what you will see in your firmware.

For your actual boot options in grub see @joekamprad post above for how to accomplish this.

1 Like

Basically just specify it in /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf. Examples of the section(s) that matter are in the details section. Seems to work most happily with a png of the resolution that rEFInd runs inā€¦

Details
# Use a custom title banner instead of the rEFInd icon and name. The file
# path is relative to the directory where refind.efi is located. The color
# in the top left corner of the image is used as the background color
# for the menu screens. Currently uncompressed BMP images with color
# depths of 24, 8, 4 or 1 bits are supported, as well as PNG and JPEG
# images. (ICNS images can also be used, but ICNS has limitations that
# make it a poor choice for this purpose.) PNG and JPEG support is
# limited by the underlying libraries; some files, like progressive JPEGs,
# will not work.
#
#banner hostname.bmp
banner sgs-banner.png
#banner Tan-Plasma.png
#banner icons/snowy/banner-snowy.png

# Specify how to handle banners that aren't exactly the same as the screen
# size:
#  noscale     - Crop if too big, show with border if too small
#  fillscreen  - Fill the screen
# Default is noscale
#
#banner_scale fillscreen

That is the whole section in refind.conf, along with the one for specifying how to handle a non-standard resolution (if you need it). Really only one line to edit in most cases though :grin:

I was just wondering how you were doing it because others i have looked at show it being done using themes folder.

Themes are far more complex than just the background - partly why I leave the rest of theme alone! Mostly, I donā€™t mind the secondary icons etc as they defaultā€¦

Thanks for clarifying. Letā€™s see what happens. Iā€™ll unset the ā€œSolutionā€ for now.