If I did not update for a long time, we get update related issues

If I don’t update for a long time, I wanted to know how come there are dependency related issues. Shouldn’t sudo pacman -Syyu update hte repository and then install it no matter how long I have taken?

Also is it possible to easily solve this issue, even if it has been years?

If you don’t do regular updates, rolling release is not for you.

Btrfs and boot into the snapshot before update if the update fails.

1 Like

Years on a rolling release distro?

short answer: no
long answer: nooooooooooooooo
:blush:

10 Likes

I pull this post back as @BONK said below it is a terrible advice!
So, Please don’t do it!
Apologies to all!

Just thinking, try to update mirrors. Can be done from “Welcome” app. then

yay -Syu

I hope this helps.
I do not see why this should not work.
Try and let me know please!

Ok but why does it have issues though if you don’t update for a long time that is what I wanted to know?

what about from terminal is that possible?

DOesn’t this update the mirrors? Whats the difference between mirros and dependencies?

Sure mate, I will have to install it on VirtualBox and leave it for months.

Because some packages get replaced by others, some would change dependencies, some other which were installed as dependencies might not be needed anymore, some packages might be removed from the repos, some others might be moved to AUR and so on and so forth.

If you haven’t updated your system for a long time, you will need to handle all these issues manually.
Perhaps not impossible but most probably a tedious task.

6 Likes

This is actually terrible advice. You say you have been using linux for 20+ years. It certainly does not show in your responses. There are all the reasons @pebcak pointed out as well as many more. If you want to use a rolling release then you accept the rules of a rolling release which means you update daily or weekly at the latest. Other issues you will face not updating:

1. pacnew files. You will more then likely have several to deal with.
  2. Manual interventions as posted to the Arch news page. Not doing these as they come along will make fixing them exponentially harder to deal with.
  3. EndeavourOS specific manual interventions that need to be made with all the reasons in #2.
    lastly, Just use yay it already does the same thing as yay -Syu save yourself the keystrokes.
10 Likes

Um I never said that?

I see

Thanks for the advise never knew that.

I was replying to limotux

2 Likes

Sorry my bad.

2 Likes

OK. I won’t anymore!
Apologies.

The longer you wait, the more likely it is that there will be issues. This is true for all the reasons discussed above.

That being said, it isn’t that hard to update an install after a long period of time.

I updated a machine a couple of days ago that hadn’t been updated for a long time, over a year. More than 1200 updated packages. It worked fine. I only had to update the keyring first.

The biggest issues occur when there are major pacman changes(such as when the compression changed) or chains of replacements that are no longer available. The first issue requires downloading pacman-static. The latter issue requires a little bit of problem solving.

That being said, there usually isn’t much reason to update an install that has gone years without updates. It will probably use as much bandwidth to do the update than just downloading the ISO and reinstalling.

2 Likes

I have an old laptop that sits on a shelf in my office ‘just in case’ … I fire that thing up every six months to update. As long as I update the keyring first I don’t seem to run into issues. I find it is helpful to pipe the outputs from my yay command to a text file to review recommended actions scatter throughout the log, and chasing down and sorting out pacnew files is a bit tedious in large batches. Otherwise it has been pretty simple. … of course YMMV.

If you want to wait that long i suggest Debian.

Yeah maybe.

But with major updates, does it update for you or you have to manually install the new major update/version of debian based?

Things can get tricky if you have a version upgrade in between.

sorry like in between as in like between minor updates?

Nope. We were talking Debian. It is not a rolling release, but it comes in versions. So a system-upgrade was meant, not a simple update of all packages.

1 Like

The last I knew, Ubuntu offers an option to upgrade to the newest version - i.e., without reinstalling the system.

If you haven’t made extensive changes to the system, and are not using a bunch of ppas, it generally works pretty well. I know a few people who use Ubuntu and upgrade to a new version with no issues, or at least no major issues.