I think I formated my main (and only) disk, because it doesn't show up when I live boot and try to install eos

Hello everybody.
I’ve got a problem that I don’t know how to google. So here I am asking for your help. It may be a really stupid situation, but I’m desperate and need somebody’s help. Please be patient, if I say something ‘worng’.

The story and the problem:

I was creating a bootable usb ( sudo cp /file.iso /dev/disk/disk-byid/... ). But I accidentally chose my main disk and not the usb and didn’t realise that. So when I rebooted I got a grub page with this iso.

I booted to the live version from another usb and was going to install the os, but at the partition section I only saw this usb as a disk (4gb) abd not my main disk (512gb).

Please can somebody explain what exactly happened and how to recover from this

Can you share the output of sudo parted -l from the ISO?

[liveuser@eos-2024.04.20 ~]$ sudo parted -l 
Model: USB 2.0 Flash Disk (scsi) 
Disk /dev/sda: 4043MB 
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B 
Partition Table: msdos 

Disk Flags:   
Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags  1      1049kB  4043MB  4042MB  primary  fat32        boot, lba   

Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/nvme0n1 appears to be used, you can fix the GPT to use all of the space (an extra 995731128 blocks) or continue with the current setting?  
Fix/Ignore?           

You probably have to tell to ignore that error so you can see the whole output.

Alright, here’s the output after I typed Ignore:

Model: INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8 (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 512GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name       Flags
 1      32.8kB  2282MB  2282MB               ISO9660    hidden, msftdata
 2      2282MB  2296MB  13.1MB  fat16        Appended2  boot, esp
 3      2296MB  2296MB  307kB                Gap1       hidden, msftdata

Yeah, you definitely wrote an ISO that drive.

If you just want to install clean. I would use gparted or kde partition manager to write a new gpt partition table to it. It should show up in the installer after that.

to write a new gpt partition table to it

To what? I’m confused

To the nvme drive

Alright, thanks for your help. I’ll try

Thanks to dalto I figured it out.
using gparted I formated the the drive to btrfs and it appeared at the install page.

I think we’ve ALL done that before (I sure have)! That’s how you learn, doing stupid stuff/mistakes.

2 Likes

I once used mkfs on the partition I had my system installed on. Realized before it was done, but not before it was trashed :joy:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.