I ❤️ KDE Plasma

A whole heap of new stuff coming in 5.24 :drooling_face:

9 Likes

Those of you who like really huge icons can now make your desktop icons twice as large as the previous maximum size: LINK

eyes

6 Likes

I am little confused about the use case for that…

On the other hand, I don’t use desktop icons so I am probably not the target user anyway.

4 Likes

I do like the fact that now we’ll have an option to have ENORMOUS HUGE ICONS on the desktop and we’ll be able to say “SUCK IT!” to GNOME, which does not even support tiny desktop icons without an extension. :rofl:

Other than that, I don’t immediately see a use case for it, either… However, that may just be our lack of imagination.

6 Likes

With the way it is going next time you won’t have to start a terminal but you will just run your code on that icon. :eyes:

Last time I checked they did not support any icons on desktop. Did that changed recently?

3 Likes

Aren’t you guys saying the same thing?

1 Like

Yeah, how pathetic! Not even the tiny ones, let alone medium sized ones… :rofl:

And I’ll be able to say that laughing with a smug feeling of superiority whilst clicking on one BIG icon covering my entire desktop…

Maybe, I just understood it in a way that they support medium (or “standard” size) but not tiny. :man_shrugging:

Well, I use i3wm so they will get no laught from me… :sweat_smile:

Ah, I don’t think that was what was intended.

I like desktop icons. Mostly medium to small! :enos_flag:

1 Like

I actually have strangely missed the cover switch since it was removed, glad it is back.

Grrrr. Better be able to disable blur.

This makes no sense. Ship Kate with sensible defaults and all users should have no issues using it. What is with trying to cater to the morons?

Once again many little, mostly ineffectual changes, and not a lot of major bug hunting.

kde devs

3 Likes

That’s an excellent question.

4 Likes

It could be nice for those of us who use KDE on a TV. Nice big dumb goofy icons make it easier for me to click on them while watching football.

2 Likes

To achieve World Domination? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

TL;DR

KDE is never going to achieve world domination with software that can only be used by at most 30% of the market–those with two or more dots in Computers. To broaden our appeal, we need to make our software usable by at least the people in the next level down (one dot in Computers), which doubles the potential to 60% of the market–going from a minority to a solid majority.
https://pointieststick.com/2021/11/29/who-is-the-target-user/

https://pointieststick.com/category/world-domination/

:disguised_face:

2 Likes

On the one hand, I agree with you. On the other, I don’t really care what is in the “default set of favorite apps” to begin with. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

BTW Steam Deck is running Arch + KDE! :smirk:

Maybe for touchscreen, or even people with bad eyesight

1 Like

It would be nice were that true. Try increasing the default font size (in System Settings) and see how many of the GUIs break.

True, I remember doing that once before when I had a laptop with a small screen and I could only see half the word or less.

Yes, that’s exactly what I am doing, and none of it breaks.

1 Like