How to switch to Wayland on Plasma?

I have an Nvidia GPU. I’ve confirmed I have egl-wayland. I installed plasma-wayland-session (I don’t have plasma-wayland-protocols installed, but TMK not needed). When I select Plasma (Wayland) from SDDM, the computer reboots and gets stuck loading blocks. Based on my understanding, I need to tweak a few things.

According to the KDE wiki cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset should print ‘Y’, but on my system it prints ‘N’. So I need to modify the kernel param. As I understand the Arch wiki since Endeavour uses GRUB I need to do something like this:

Edit /etc/default/grub and append your kernel options between the quotes in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Naturally very nervous about bricking GRUB. So for mine would I just change:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet cryptdevice=UUID=[…] loglevel=3”

to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet cryptdevice=UUID=[…] loglevel=3 nvidia-drm.modeset=1”

then run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg right? (Then do the bit about creating a kwin.sh file)

You sure under Plasma you don’t already have Wayland, Wauland-protocols, egi-wayland, kwayland, kwayland-intergration, kwaylans-server, lib32-wayland, and qt5-watland already installed?

check of plasma-wayland session in the repo, then you select it from sddm !

edit : [ringo@Godofhighschool ~]$ pacman -Ss plasma-wayland
extra/plasma-wayland-protocols 1.1.1-1
Plasma Specific Protocols for Wayland
extra/plasma-wayland-session 5.20.0-2
Plasma Wayland session
[ringo@Godofhighschool ~]$
edit oops not reead well… with nvidia is adventures :slight_smile:

Yep, have all those packages. Pretty sure per the KDE docs I have no choice but to update GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT per above thanks to Nvidia’s terrible Wayland support… I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything obvious before I commit to modifying GRUB because I really don’t want to deal with trying to restore a bricked system.

followed this ?

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland/Nvidia

So when I originally wrote the post, no as I was asking about making sure I would be editing the Linux kernel param correctly per the Wiki before I actually saved, re-compiled and rebooted to a potentially bricked grub. I said YOLO just now, made the above change, compiled, rebooted and still get the issue of when hitting ‘Enter’ having ‘Plasma (Wayland)’ selected it goes to the black screen w/ ‘Loading Arch 241.x…’ and after it hanging there for 10+ seconds I decide to just reboot the machine and use non-Wayland.

Maybe if I leave it on for a long time overnight or something it’ll get past said screen… will have to try in the next 24 hours

Alright technically working right now, but still too buggy to use. Will have to file several bug reports, but at least I can load to my desktop, even if it’s distorted for the time being

Nvidia proprietary driver and Wayland and KDE? sounds challenging to me :wink: