How to run an app from cli

I installed gnome-disk-utility using pacman, but it does not appear in the installed apps list. How do I run an app from the cli or have it show in the apps list. Thanks

1 Like

You would need to find out the name of the binary. There might be other ways to do so but the following does the job. For gnome-disk-utility:

$ pacman -Ql gnome-disk-utility | grep bin 
gnome-disk-utility /usr/bin/
gnome-disk-utility /usr/bin/gnome-disk-image-mounter
gnome-disk-utility /usr/bin/gnome-disks

So open a terminal and run: gnome-disks

Normally the installed apps should show up in the application menu/launcher. Try to log out and log back in or simply reboot to see it will show up or not.

Also, depending on your DE, you might be able to create a .desktop file for the binary using a built in functionality or using an application like alacarte to do so. Or simply do it manually using a text editor.

4 Likes

Thank you, I’ll be working through this.

Great command. I want to extend it a little bit to output some more information with ls -l:

yay -Ql steam | grep /bin/ | awk '{print $2}' | xargs ls -dl1
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 118784 24. Jan 01:45 /usr/bin/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     22 21. Sep 01:52 /usr/bin/steam -> /usr/bin/steam-runtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     13 21. Sep 01:52 /usr/bin/steamdeps -> /usr/bin/true
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     41 21. Sep 01:52 /usr/bin/steam-runtime
1 Like

Silly me. Gnome-disk-utility was in the app launcher; I just didn’t recognize it because it was simply named “Disks” But it’s identified being from Gnome under properties. Also I didn’t know running an app from cli was so simple. Thanks pebcak!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.