How-to make EOS "from scratch" (or rather, from Arch)

Hi everyone !

Congratulations on your release, and for your great initiative in following up after Antergos disappeared !

As a former Antergos user, like many others probably, I’ve often tried to give plain Arch a try, or to figure out how I would go about doing it. Although following the Arch wiki to set up a simple system seems straightforward enough, I’ve always thought that it was lacking advice on all the choices you have to make if you need a slightly more complex/optimized OS, ie with encryption or more recent filesystems, etc…

I believe it would be very enriching to the community to know what are the choices you made in building the distribution, (and better still, why!). I think this would allow bridging the gap between the complexity of plain Arch and a fully operational product like EOS. I think that all distros should do the same (how do you build ubuntu from debian…? :smile: tc) but since EOS is still fresh and new I thought maybe it’s a little easier to do !

It could be simple enough, either organized by category or better yet following the standard install scheme, with the choices for standard defaults (partitioning, filesystems, encryption), window manager, desktop environment, optimizations (might be more complex…) etc… and then build up on that version after version. Who knows, in many years if EOS is one of the big distros around, this could be a gold mine of info and a good history of what was done and how it was done in the linux world year after year…!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, have a wonderful day everyone !

3 Likes

Hi @cedric,

First of all welcome to the community.

Your request is a rather ambitious one, but maybe it is something for the future. At this moment we’re still figuring out a whole bunch and like you already wrote, the info is complex and sometimes difficult to find.

Thank you for your feedback and have fun with the community.

Everything you ask for is contained within the ArchWiki, and since Endeavour endeavors to assist the users in learning the ways of Arch, there is no better substitute. The Arch installation guide answers or contains links to every question you posited above.

ArchWiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/
ArchLinux Installation Guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
Regards

1 Like

Hi @cedric ,

what you wrote is exactly what manjaro architect provides, actually it was best manjaro solution I’ve tried (sorry guys! :wink: ), yet I think a lot of work is involved to create such installer, and it leaves a lot of space for user error. If you’ll create wrong config (for example mess partitioning), then your system wouldn’t be usable anyway.

No offense taken, we’ve only released our second ISO, this distro is an evolving project :wink:

1 Like

It is, but not as ambitious as creating a distro :slight_smile:

That I can easily understand !!

Well no, the Arch wiki contains all the different possibilities, but my question is which options were selected to be the defaults in EOS, and why. And, how will this evolve over time…

That already exists / has existed but it’s not what I suggested ! I was only thinking of a wiki page listing all choices / optimizations that make EOS what it is, starting from Arch…

Anyway thanks everyone and the best of luck in your endeavors :wink: !

2 Likes