How to install kde from a sway install

Sway uses Wayland, it’s in the name. No amount of crying can change that :slight_smile:

Things have gotten extremely simple compared to years ago. You’re one of very few people who thinks it has gotten more difficult.

Unless you have Nvidia. Don’t use Nvidia.

But if you’re trying to use KDE on x11, you shouldn’t have any major issues with Nvidia.

startplasma-x11 doesn’t work. no output, prompt comes back immediately.

Did you startx first?

I’ve never been able to get Wayland to work on my Nvidia. Black screen! :black_large_square:

You’re on KDE, right @ricklinux? You have to install a couple extra packages:

To enable support for Wayland in Plasma, also install the plasma-wayland-session package. If you are an NVIDIA user, also install egl-wayland if it is not already installed, and if the session does not start with the proprietary nvidia driver, also enable the DRM kernel mode setting. If that does not work, too, check the instructions on the KDE wiki.

Also, ibt=off kernel parameter may still be needed for Nvidia on Wayland if you have an Intel CPU.

1 Like

I tried all those things. I don’t need ibt=off and as far as i thought egl-wayland is installed but maybe not? :thinking: I actually didn’t check. I did try DRM kernel mode setting. Already wiped it out because i don’t have time for nonsense. Wayland sucks! :rofl: I’ll try again later maybe. How many times can i reinstall? :thinking: 1000, 1001, 1002 …

Edit: Okay i haven’t hit 10000 yet!

1 Like

But I did not install plasma-wayland-session and I do have the nvidia-driver, yet it still starts well.
I’m fed up with those “if” “if”, in the heyday of desktop environment, package managers just installed whatever you needed, now there’s plenty of instructions which “might” be useful, or might not in my case, or might even break stuff up for other DEs or compositors.
Is this how we advertise to end-users now ? Or did the free software world (more likely the major groups and foundations) just stop trying to appeal to them ?
I swear there was like a heyday of usability years ago, even though I didn’t have much serious use for computers yet, I could play with it more easily today…
Anyway, I’ll stop ranting. I hope something new comes blowing away all those old institutional actors and new people start making sound decisions on behalf on users who can’t have a say replace them.

Well you could just use amdgpu with an AMD Graphics card and you wouldn’t have these issues. It just works.

Just reinstall from the latest iso then. You’re clearly having a very hard time, and the issues all stem from you trying to go from sway to kde. Just reinstall and select KDE, and things will be just fine. Most end users don’t have your issues. If you continue to have issues - Pop works amazingly well with Nvidia. My wife doesn’t even know what a terminal is and used Pop for almost a year. That may be better suited for you until you get more comfortable with Linux.

This was solved in post 7.

If you can’t figure out how to do it via post 7. Please reinstall and select KDE, and you won’t have any problems.

If you still have problems - use Pop.

If you can’t use Pop, I would stick to Windows.

I want BOTH KDE and Sway dammit !

Why? What is so special about sway that can’t be done with KDE + Bismuth?

I don’t understand what you’re trying to accomplish? You should be able to use i3 within KDE without too too much fuss. Sway is i3+wayland which won’t work with nvidia yet. . . Sometimes you need to use the right tool for the job. KDE+i3 could be a better solution, although I’ve never tried. i3 goes great with xfce!

2 Likes

@BluishHumility
Okay i reinstalled KDE and yes everything was correct except one thing? On the Arch wiki page it shows
nvidia_drm.modeset=1

But on the KDE page it shows
nvidia-drm.modeset=1

Not sure if that makes any difference. I am getting graphics anomalies on Firefox here but i think i also need to set Wayland in Firefox somewhere yet. But it is working currently.

Edit:I am using the one from the kde site.
Edit2: Added MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 firefox to /etc/environment

Edit3: Decided I’m going to run with this for a while since i usually had Xfce with Win11 on here. Now it’s Kde.

Edit3

[ricklinux@kde-tuff ~]$ inxi -Ga
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-9.5 process: Intel 14nm built: 2016-20
    ports: active: none empty: HDMI-A-3,HDMI-A-4 bus-ID: 00:02.0
    chip-ID: 8086:3e92 class-ID: 0300
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: nvidia v: 525.89.02 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm non-free: 525.xx+
    process: TSMC 16nm built: 2016-21 pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 4
    link-max: lanes: 16 ports: active: none off: HDMI-A-2 empty: DP-1, DP-2,
    DVI-D-1, HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1b83 class-ID: 0300
  Display: wayland server: X.org v: 1.21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.7
    compositor: kwin_wayland driver: X: loaded: intel,nvidia
    unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,nouveau,nv,vesa dri: i965
    gpu: i915,nvidia display-ID: 0
  Monitor-1: HDMI-A-2 res: 1920x1080 size: N/A modes: N/A
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.89.02 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
    6GB/PCIe/SSE2 direct-render: Yes
[ricklinux@kde-tuff ~]$ 

Does this mean i need to install it with Sway now? :rofl:

Edit4: I also installed sddm-git because it want’s to hang when shutting down or rebooting in Wayland. This corrects that currently on my system and seems to work better.

1 Like

You can use i3 with Kde. I already tried that too. There are certain things i don’t like mixing desktops such as with Sway you’ll have Xfce4 terminal and Thunar when I’m using Konsole and Dolphin on Kde. It just bugs me a little. :man_shrugging:

Edit: I guess it’s because I’m too Kde? :rofl:

1 Like

You can easily change them back you know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Indeed. You can’t even get Xeyes to work properly… Ptfff!

eyes

1 Like

I do have it working on Nvidia and it is acceptable. This much :pinching_hand:

Edit: Have since returned to Xfce on Nvidia. Still not sold on Wayland. Someday maybe?