How to get updates for GNOME extensions (e.g. Dash to Dock)

How to get updates for GNOME extensions (e.g. Dash to Dock). The extensions were installed via

https://extensions.gnome.org/

Surely this can’t be done via the system updates. Manually?

If you install them manually you have to update the same way.

If you install them from AUR or the repos you can get updates via your package manager/AUR helper.

1 Like

So it makes sense to get the most important extension(s) from the AUR. What about the extensions that were already included in the new installation?

I don’t run gnome as my full-time desktop but I think there are trade-offs. If you get them from AUR, you cede some control in the event the AUR packager isn’t updating in-sync with new releases.

1 Like

Ok, thanks @dalto

but the correct way is from Gnome.org extensions then the site informs you when updates are required and you update them from the installed extensions tab that is the correct way

1 Like

yes, like @mandog said. Extensions installed from extensions.gnome.org are handled automatically. I’m not sure, if the new extension app that now comes with gnome (since 3.36) is involved. You just get a desktop notification if there is an update available for your extension(s), and it tells you, that you need to log off and back in - that’s all. The update is done automagically then. :nerd_face:

1 Like

very beautiful :slight_smile:

That might work, if you are the only user at the PC. If you have more than one who will use the same extensions you should install the extensions via pacman from the repos or the AUR because extensions.gnome.org does the install only for the user logged in.

I am the only user! NONE but me touches my computer … grrr! :hot_face:

2 Likes

Shouldn’t matter i guess? Extensions from extensions.gnome.org are stored in your home. So you are logged in and have an extension which can be updated so -> notification -> log out -> log in -> updated (for that one user). The other user, having the same extension just will get the same notification and as well has to re-login to get it updated - no problem i guess… that’s just my theory, don’t have evidence

2 Likes

I would recommend this way also, special if you have more then one user on the system, each user can use extensions needed not interfering with other users and updating notifications can be used individual also, you may have something to get ready on time, and schedule extension update to a later point, so it will not break GNOME, if you are using AUR it will brake as soon a one of the user’s updates system.

1 Like

Ah, I think we both mixed two ways of installing Gnome extensions. In my scenario the extensions get installed via pacman/yay and the users only activate the extensions they want. They do not install extensions in their own home. If a extension is needed it will be installed via pacman/yay.

1 Like