How to fix mismatch between linux & headers (Grub Customizer issue)

So, I’ve had this issue for awhile where I upgraded and something didn’t go right when it comes to my Ethernet (wired) network, and it just couldn’t connect to the Internet. I can however use a wifi dongle and use slower Internet that way. I think it has something to do with Grub Customizer installed, but after reading a few things online I found this:

pacman -Q linux; uname -r
linux 5.18.1.arch1-1
5.15.44-1-lts

I also saw something where it could be a mismatch when installing if your correct boot directory is not right in fstab. My boot directory is /boot/efi and is correct in fstab.

How can I fix this?

If this was the case you wouldn’t be able to boot. :thinking: Not so sure this is your issue with your Ethernet.

Welp, I found out the issue and it is Grub Customizer, but not because of a glitch, rather user error. Whenever you update your system and reboot, you have to go into Grub Customizer, go to View → “Show Hidden Entries”, and then it will list all of the entries in grub, with the latest ones at the top. The top entry (and maybe a fallback initramfs after it) are the correct kernel entries, select these and reboot.

You can also rename your entries to keep track of them by selecting it and clicking edit (rename doesn’t work), and rename it to that kernel (I have one for 5.18 and another for 5.15).

More context for other users:

“Not exactly sure, but GC will load the exact version of Linux that you specify, and somehow (unbeknownst to me) it loads the older headers because that’s what you previously specified

What did this have to do with headers? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Best solution is not to use grub-customizer.

5 Likes

Not exactly sure, but GC will load the exact version of Linux that you specify, and somehow (unbeknownst to me) it loads the older headers because that’s what you previously specified

@ricklinux maybe, maybe not. This PC used to run Xubuntu many years ago, and I liked GC for being able to customize grub. Grub 1 was easy and straight-forward to customize, when 2 came out I had a flood of menu entries that were not easily removed. GC fixed that for me, and still does.

It loaded the LTS kernel. Nothing that you’ve shown or written has anything to do with kernel headers.

If you would like to verify that you have the proper headers installed for both the regular and the LTS kernels, run:

pacman -Q linux linux-headers linux-lts linux-lts-headers

You should have matching headers for each kernel.

Xubuntu is not Arch. :wink: I would suggest that you were doing something in grub customizer that caused the problem. It has a habit of doing that.

Edit: I use rEFInd btw!

1 Like

@Stagger_Lee

I don’t have a “before”, except the output above I already listed, but here’s after I fixed it:

@ricklinux

Right :wink:, which is why I went Arch via Antergos and then EndeavourOS :grin:

Is rEFInd GUI & user-friendly? Is it a custom grub app?

rEFInd is a boot manager. You can still use grubx64.efi to load or you can use the vmlinuz-linux image to load. I’m still using the grub boot loader to boot after selecting the OS i want to boot. It is triple boot and i keep the boot separated from each other so they all use their own to boot.

Edit: It is designed to be used on UEFI.

1 Like

You might want to look at the Discovery entries on rEFInd - ie: our Wiki. Easily accessed through the header on this forum. After looking - come back with any questions!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.