How to disable eos-update-notifier check after every login or check only on fridays?

I have configured a weekly schedule in the settings, but nonetheless notifications appear every time I start up the system.

Ideally, I want it only to notify me on Friday’s nights, or to disable eos-update-notifier completely, and I will manually update every Friday.

After reading man systemd.time, inside eos-update-notifier configuration, in “First check after system startup”, I wrote:
Fri *-*-* 21:00:00
Maybe it will work.

1 Like

The notifier rechecks after every new boot, the schedule only is effective when the machine isn’t turned off, but goes into sleep mode.

There’s no workaround for that, unfortunately.

1 Like

I understand, thanks Bryan!

1 Like

OnStartupSec=
in ~/.config/systemd/user/eos-update-notifier.timer can be removed so it will not do that anymore.
I am not sure if we have something to stop this from config tools, but removing it manually should work.

As it is set to Persistent=true the OnCalender will stay active i think?

So in Schedule that would remove “First check after system startup” but retain “Check period”?

systemctl --user status eos-update-notifier.timer                                                            130 ↵
● eos-update-notifier.timer - Run EOS update notifier periodically
     Loaded: loaded (/home/joekamprad/.config/systemd/user/eos-update-notifier.timer; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (waiting) since Thu 2021-11-04 14:22:13 CET; 1min 57s ago
    Trigger: Thu 2021-11-04 15:00:00 CET; 35min left
   Triggers: ● eos-update-notifier.service

Nov 04 14:22:13 UNGEHEUER64 systemd[1529]: Started Run EOS update notifier periodically

does status give after commenting the line…(after reboot)

You can edit file
~/.config/systemd/user/eos-update-notifier.timer

To make it check updates on Fridays, write your time spec to OnCalendar:

OnCalendar=Fri *-*-* 21:00:00

and remove (or comment out with # as the first character on the line) settings

OnStartupSec=30 seconds
  Persistent=true

(If that is your preferred schedule, remember not to overwrite the file with the tools. A good idea is to backup the file just in case.)

Finally, to activate your changes, run command

systemctl --user daemon-reload

See also: man systemd.timer

4 Likes

Amazing!
This is exactly what I wanted! :blush:

I didn’t know about that config file, thanks so much manuel!

3 Likes

Our wiki has more info about this:

The page is not fully up to date, but the info related to your question is mostly there.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.