How stable is Arch Linux in Reality?

Yes, duh.
https://www.archlinux.org/feeds/news/

However, I also use Debian Sid as a stable system. :slight_smile:

I would say you got that wrong. It IS very advantageous for EOS, since it is a stable release, unile Debian Unstable.

I havenā€™t had a single crash since I installed Antergos and later upgraded to Endeavour.

Every hickup Iā€™ve had were my own doing. Arch instructions are pretty hard to follow, especially for a newbie. Biggest issues Iā€™ve had were related to Xorg. Itā€™s really easy to fck up anything and everything. Iā€™ve decided to use Wayland instead, itā€™s much easier to handle.

Good thing about Arch though is that you can find help really fast. Especially in this forum. And once you mess things up enough times, you start to learn how to handle it yourself. :smiley:

1 Like

What are you using Wayland on? I know it works good on Gnome. But your right Arch is very stable and both super easy with some things and super hard with others. I mess mine up all the time because i canā€™t stop messing around! :rofl:

1 Like

You should use a VM :slight_smile:
Who am i to give you advices? After all i also do some wild tests here :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I canā€™t help though if i donā€™t install on bare metal. Vbox doesnā€™t always give the same results. I wipe out the computer so many times i lose count. But, Iā€™m gonna stop some day. :innocent:

3 Likes

Heh, My latest installation has been stable for months now. This time I have already stopped myself twice from installing Gnome 3.36 on it.
Second time I had to run a Fedora live stick for an hour just to remember how much I love the look but hate the feeling of of it :stuck_out_tongue:

So all I did so far this week working from home was changing my Fish prompt to a fish. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m using KDE. I had KDE with Xorg working fine too, but my audio was reverse stereo and I couldnā€™t fix it. Switching to Wayland helped and been using it since.

1 Like

Uh, that sounds very interesting! Could you please explain which packages you installed from the EOS-Installer and what else afterwards to get Wayland working with KDE? Did you remove all Xorg-packages, and if yes, which ones?

Did you experience any bugs with this combination (KDE ā†” Wayland) so far?

I havenā€™t used the EOS Installer. I upgraded from Antergos. Instructions are found on this forum. To get Wayland to work, just install plasma-wayland-session and select it at login. So far no issues for me. Havent removed Xorg either. Maybe I should? :thinking:

1 Like

you cant use Xorg otherwise you end up in non working system, xorg is stil needed :slight_smile:

2 Likes