How should I go about to perform firmware updates

I have the following packages installed on my system:

fwupd
gnome-firmware

I can see that there is a systemd service active and running as well:

systemctl status fwupd.service
● fwupd.service - Firmware update daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/fwupd.service; static)
     Active: active (running) since Tue 2020-12-15 18:14:48 CET; 24min ago
       Docs: https://fwupd.org/
   Main PID: 8256 (fwupd)
      Tasks: 5 (limit: 18430)
     Memory: 33.2M
     CGroup: /system.slice/fwupd.service
             └─8256 /usr/lib/fwupd/fwupd

Dec 15 18:14:47 eos-cinnamon systemd[1]: Starting Firmware update daemon...
Dec 15 18:14:48 eos-cinnamon fwupd[8256]: ERROR:esys:src/tss2-esys/esys_context.c:69:Esys_Initialize() Initialize default tcti. ErrorCode (0x000a000a)
Dec 15 18:14:48 eos-cinnamon fwupd[8256]: 17:14:48:0491 FuPluginDfu          04f2:b6cb is missing download capability
Dec 15 18:14:48 eos-cinnamon systemd[1]: Started Firmware update daemon.

But having a look at https://fwupd.org/ it doesn’t seem that this machine

Machine:   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 82A2 v: Yoga Slim 7 14ARE05 serial: <superuser/root required> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40709 WIN �������������������������������� 
           serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI: LENOVO v: DMCN34WW date: 08/17/2020

is supported.

Does it mean that it is useless to have those above mentioned packages installed? And also the running service wouldn’t serve any purpose?

1 Like

Yes.

6 Likes

So uninstalling and disabling the service…
:cowboy_hat_face:

May as well, it is never going to update anything :smiley:

3 Likes

Done and away with!
Thanks for the swift reply!
Ciao!

yeah, I install Windows for this purpose…
A day will come, when we’ll be free.

3 Likes

I nuked Windows on this machine right after it’s arrival. I feel really reluctant to install it again.

I recall having read somewhere that running something like

from a live usb could be used to run those .exe files for updating the firmware.

2 Likes

Depending on your machine (motherboard), there may be a couple of ways to update firmware without Windows nor Linux:

• from BIOS/firmware
  • using a FreeDOS drive

You should look at the vendor’s site, or the BIOS itself can show you the required information.

But be absolutely sure to use the correct firmware file for your machine (a close “relative” will not do!), otherwise you will brick your machine.

I’ve never had Lenovo machines, so unknown to me…

2 Likes

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any option in BIOS/firmware for updating the firmware. Using a FreeDOS drive is something I need to learn more about.

I have had DELL machines where you could just flush the firmware from a downloaded file on a connected USB drive. Very smooth. The firmware settings on this Lenovo machine are quite primitive in comparison to those of Dell’s to say the least. I was quite disappointed when I got into it the first time.

Thanks for the heads-up. I’ll be careful.

1 Like

Don’t know if this applies to your Lenovo, but here it is: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/update-lenovo-bios-from-linux-usb-stick-pen/

Great, thanks! I’ll check it out. Would facilitate the task quite a bit if there would be a bootable image for this model.

There doesn’t seem to a bootable image for this model :disappointed:

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/dmcn34ww.txt

My current firmware version matches the one on the support page but the release date is different :thinking:

I would probably use Hiren’s from a USB but there is no update available for my Clevo either :rofl:

1 Like

Have you used it before?

Yes, a long time ago.

Alright. I’ll have a look at it.

Have you got a ventoy usb? Just copy the iso and the update to the usb.

2 Likes

Yes, I do.

Sounds pretty smooth! I’ll do so.
I love Ventoy!

1 Like

I have the same issue with my laptop (it’s MSI not Lenovo): the firmware version matches but the release dates are different when I compare it to the support page. Maybe it is something manufacturing or region related?

Yeah, it’s a bit puzzling. I can’t figure out why. Perhaps the others might have some idea.