How frequently should I update my system?

Hi,
This is the first time I am using an Arch based distro. I have used only Debian based distros.
While using Debian I updated my system as soon as I get a notification.

Should the do the same thing with EndeavourOS ?

Please help me clear my doubts.

By the way I just finished installing EndeavourOS & received a notification that updates are available so I installed the updates. Frankly I was a little nervous that things might break but nothing bad happened.

Your suggestion will help me maintaining EndeavourOS in the long term.

Once a week is a good recommendation (witch I frequently break). Another line of thinking is to update often to know more exactly what borked your system.

I tend to update when there is a new kernel, and/or there are a lot of DE specific updates.

checkupdates is a good command to use to know what’s pending.

That said, I think it has been two instances when a manual intervention was needed since I installed EndeavourOS, and they were no biggie.

Edit: yay let’s you update the Arch Repos and the AUR in one go.

…and welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Whenever you want to, as long as you don’t neglect to update for several months. The longer you leave your system out of date, the higher the chance of encountering issues next time you update. But as long as you do it somewhat regularly, when you update is entirely up to you.

It is a good idea to update before installing new software, especially from the AUR. If your system is significantly outdated when you install new packages that may cause some issues (nothing that can’t be fixed, though).

Be careful of partial updates, which typically happens when you refresh the local package database without updating and then install new packages. Partial updates may cause some packages to stop functioning, due to outdated dependencies. The severity of this can range from a minor annoyance to system breakage. So, if you happen to refresh the local package database (for example, by running updates and not going through with it, by answering N), you should update as soon as possible and not install any packages until you do.

4 Likes

Thanks to both for the replies.
@Kresimir
“But as long as you do it somewhat regularly, when you update is entirely up to you.”

But I have heard that rolling release distros are prone to breakage. So I am worried that
installing updates might introduce bugs. Am I misunderstanding the situation ?

I think you’ll notice that Arch (and EndeavourOS, consequently) is remarkably stable. When something breaks, it will typically be your fault and you’ll know what you did to break it (which is a great first clue to how to fix it).

Nevertheless, if you are worried about it, it’s a good idea to use timeshift, so you can undo any updates, but I’ve yet to experience a major breakage due to an update. That almost never happens.

4 Likes

Unless you experiment the %&#¤/%#¤ out of your system it’s far between or non existent. On the other hand it’s fun to experiment.

Installing another kernel as a back up is a good idea (lts kernel), and installing Timeshift is a good idea (and having back ups)

3 Likes

I am using the command pacman -Syu to update system. I haven’t yet installed anything from
AUR. Is the command I am using the right one ?

1 Like

No experiments, nothing crazy. I think the public opinion about rolling releases which says they are very unstable is just wrong.

2 Likes

I am running Arch for over 4 years on multiple computers and have never had a breakage.

I usually update once a week.

I check the Arch Announcements page before each update; if something requires manual intervention, it will be listed there.

(You will get bugs in various software (coughPlasmacough) - that is the nature of a rolling release - but they are usually small, and the bigger ones tend to get patched quickly).

4 Likes

I don’t think that opinion is wrong, I know that opinion is wrong. My personal experience has been that rolling releases are far more stable.

3 Likes

Sorry for asking stupid questions but suppose I find that something needs manual intervention what do I do then ?

1 Like

The announcement will give you the process to follow.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks.

1 Like

Living on the east coast of North America (five to seven hours ‘behind’ Europe), both my wife and I update our respective computers every day, first thing in the morning (about 9:00 AM ET for us). At that time, if there were any problems with an update (in Europe), it (they) would have been fixed by the time we update.

We do our updating once a day, every day, at approximately at that time.

In over one year of using EndeavourOS on our highly customized computers (hers is different than mine), we have never had any problem which ‘broke’ our systems. On the one or two occasions where we saw something ‘odd’ in an update, a quick trip to the forum gave us the answer as how to correct it. And, in the last six months, we have not had even one ‘odd’ moment in the updating process.

EndeavourOS is a highly stable operating system, in both our opinions, and, as long as you update on some sort of regular basis, you should be fine. (Think of it: over one year of active use, updating daily, and no breakage or other problems! I think that that’s amazing and is a genuine credit to the developers.)

I would not recommend updating several times a day (there being no real need for that) nor would I recommend updating only rarely. A rolling-release system is, in my opinion, no more and no less stable than a fixed system and EndeavourOS is, by far, the most stable GNU/Linux distribution we have used in over twelve years of using Linux (and we have tried over twenty of them, both fixed and rolling).

I hope that this is of some interest to you.

Lawrence

5 Likes

I didn’t know that so I just updated for the second time today & after reading your post I rebooted just to test if anything broke but thank god nothing broke & as I type this message I just got a GUI notification that one more update is available but since now I know I won’t update until tomorrow.

Thanks.

2 Likes

It won’t hurt anything to update multiple times a day. Personally that would drive me nuts, but there are people who feel that way about my once-a-week schedule. It’s just personal preference.

That said, you generally don’t want to go too long between updates.

And always update before installing an application.

I don’t use any update notifier. There will always be updates waiting for me :smile:.

3 Likes

I am paranoid about security. That’s the reason I always installed updates as soon as they are offered under Debian.

1 Like

Been using Arch and Arch base OS for years now and find once a day is enough for me.
Never had Arch OS break on me but had a few programs over the years+ that needed to have a update which usually takes place withing hours.

5 Likes

Yes, a rolling-release type of GNU/Linux operating system will offer updates many times per day as individual programs (applications) are updated by their developers (this has little or nothing to do with the actual operating system).

If you update every time you see one offered, you will be constantly interrupting your work and you might cause some damage to your system. (Of course, every time you update, you essentially have a brand-new computer with the absolute “latest and greatest.”)

But what a ‘pain’ that would be!

We have update notifications disabled on our computers. Having a “brand-new” computer once every day is certainly enough for us!

I’m glad (and I know that you are too!) that nothing happened to your computer. (Probably nothing would even if you did update several times a day.)

But why bother? Once a day is more than sufficient in my opinion and it can be done at your convenience rather than that of some developer’s.

Lawrence

2 Likes

Whether an operating system is stable or not has to do with the packages themselves? If you get quick updates, there is a greater risk that something will break. If you hold them a little, you may find bugs before you release them. That’s the difference between Debian Stable and Arch for example. You have time to test them more. I had an app that just crashed during an update today.

2 Likes