How do i install something like snapshot or timeshift

on my other computer i installed garuda, and it has snapshot management, how to install something similar on endevour(on install i picked systemd instead of grub, does that make a difference)?

to install packages from the standard repos you will use
pacman -S timeshift
to install packages from the aur use and aur helper like yay (included in EnOS)
yay -S timeshift

1 Like

Garuda’s snapshot management is based on a few things:

• The btrfs filesystems - This is what allows snapshots to be created in a fast and space efficient manner
  • Snapper - This is used to manage the btrfs snapshots
  • snap-pac - This takes Snapper snapshots before and after each pacman transaction
  • grub-btrfs - This allows you to boot off the snapshots

Grub will make it easier to boot and restore from snapshots. It actually mentions this in the installer.

1 Like

Don’t forget to mention your awesome gui tool btrfs-assistant for snapper!

3 Likes

after each pacman transaction(what about yay transactions?)

so how do i install grub then and make it use that instead of systemd?
i will definitely try to install those couple of things…
and what is more stable, that snapper or timeshift? or is it the same thing…

yay calls pacman to install the packages so it will capture both.

You may be better off reinstalling if you want to switch bootloaders. It is possible to switch but it is not easy.

They both take snapshots but they are not the same Snapper is more flexible and reliable in my opinion.

1 Like

So is it better to install from aur or standard repos, what is recommended?

If the package is in the repos, you should usually install it from there.

That being said, AUR packages have to be different than repo packages to qualify for inclusion in the AUR so unless you are installing alternative versions, it shouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like

Eh, i will reinstall then to get grub working…

i tried installing with pacman -S qbittorrent, and it showed an erorr, im not the root, so i did yay and that worked… but for future reference what is the deal with that error?

You need to run pacman with sudo when you are installing packages.

sudo pacman -S qbittorrent

yay is an AUR wrapper so it needs to escalate internally.

1 Like

Aaah, that is the deal with that. silly me… :smile:

i installed it(and also what you wrote above, snapper, snap-pac, and grub-btrfs), i have overview, subvolumes, snapper, but im missing btrfs maintenance?

If you want that tab you need to install btrfsmaintenance from the AUR. It is optional.

1 Like

well it appears that even after i installed the os again and picked grub instead of sysd, that sysd still installed. hmm. and i did all those things to get snapshots, and only manual makes a snapshot, when i update system it says that it creates a snapshot but when i go to the assistant i only see manual snapshot…

You choose between systemd-boot and grub, those are bootloaders. SystemD is has a suite of functionalities two of them being bootloader and init system, init system is what starts up the needed services and processes so you get a usable system and it allows you to control the services as well. I can share links about systemd with more information but it would probably give you a headache and more than you need to know now since you are new to Linux?

well i’ve come to the realization that i indeed installed with grub… :grin: i have a lot to learn, sorry for spamming the forum with the all the questions, im trying to setup systems right so i can then finally transfer my data from windows(they will still be used for some games, and some stuff that is not available on linux, but im really trying to move away from them as much as i can)

1 Like

No need to be sorry for asking questions, as long as you are learning from them and helps you understand your system and Linux better.

1 Like

well with all of that installed i can make manual snapshot but automatic ones that should create(i think they do, there is an notification of some sort)doesn’t show up in the snapper list…

Which automatic snapshots are you referring to?