How do I Enable Networking on Boot?

I have to remote into my home PC from work. I’ve been having some issues with kwin seg-faulting on a regular basis which is another problem. As a result, from time to time I have to reboot my home PC through SSH. For whatever reason though, networking doesn’t turn on until after I have logged into my kDE desktop session. That means that I can’t ssh back into the PC after it restarts unless I call my wife and ask her to login for me.

What do I need to do to enable networking (ethernet) on boot so it doesn’t have to wait for KDE network manager to start?

Is it a wireless network? In the case of a wireless network, it needs your wallet to be unlocked to get the password.

You can do something like this to get around that if you don’t mind your wifi password being stored this way.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#Connect_to_network_with_secret_on_boot

2 Likes

Wifi, or Ethernet?

Sorry, thought I must have deleted the type of networking when I wrote the post. Thought I had mentioned it. It is ethernet.

Ethernet connections tend to be brought up on boot unless you tell them not to (hence the confusion).

Check the KDE connection settings and look for something like “Connect automatically…” and “All users may connect to this network”:

Otherwise, is there something you haven’t told us?

2 Likes

Thanks but I don’t think that is it. I’m talking about getting the connection started even before a user logs into KDE.

There is probably a posibility I use on a raspberry pi. Adding static ip entry at the end of /etc/dhcpcd.conf.

interface eth0
metric 101
static ip_address=192.168.0.10/24
static routers=192.168.0.1
static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1

Not sure if it is valid for Arch based system.
These are some example values - change according to your system.

NetworkManager is what is managing the connection. The image is just showing the settings in KDE.

3 Likes