How can I switch or boot Plasma 5?

Hi all! I’m basically entirely new here, long story short I’m actually a debian person but I have a nvidia card, and the nvidia stuff kept crashing on there.

It’s fine here, I installed with the nvidia install from the iso file, and it’s all fine except I’m pretty sure plasma 6 is broken. Everything except firefox is being super weird and flashy and broken. Discord is unusable in its actual program.

Is there a way I can get an iso of endeavor that uses plasma 5, or get it to use plasma 5 during install? I really. really. Do not want plasma 6.

There is no way in Arch or on an Arch based distro to do that unfortunately.

1 Like

If you want to use a rolling release distro, such as anything Arch Linux based, you are going to run he latest version of the desktop environment. If you want to run Plasma 5, stick to distros that continue to use the previous release.

2 Likes

Goddamn it. I don’t know what to do anymore at this point. I’m running at like half brain power because this entire weekend I’ve just been trying to get a kernel to actually run after debian broke on me at 1am.

I don’t know what to try next. Arch distros have worked with my nvidia card so far but now I can’t get a working desktop environment. Debian dies within 1-4 months because of the nvidia card. I literally don’t know what to do anymore. I wish nvidia just had open source drivers so I could move on with my life…

Thanks for the reply, and if you have literally any suggestions or ideas or advice please please tell me I am at an absolute loss right now.

edit: solved. Switching from wayland to X11 solved it

This doesn’t sound like a plasma 6 issue to me. Can you share inxi -Fxxxz so we can see what your hardware and driver situation is?

This is gonna be a stupid question but I can just reply the entire content I got in return to the command without like, idk, accidentally posting something sensitive like an IP address?

The -z option should remove any sensitive info so that should already be gone.

You can just copy/paste the whole thing in a code block.

I was using wayland apparently and turns out switching to X11 fixed the problem. Life is good actually. Thanks for all the help, I wouldn’t have realised I was using wayland if you hadn’t told me to do that command!!

3 Likes

I was about ready to ask if you tried switching to X11 from the login prompt. nVidia doesn’t seem to get along with Wayland at this point time so I’d say keep using X11. I haven’t had an issue with Wayland on Intel and AMD GPU’s though, except for occasional crashing on Chrome-based browsers.

I’m glad you figured it out though.

1 Like