Hostname foobar.local not being recognized

I having problems with something that used to work. I have a fresh EOS install with the KDE Plasma DE installed and I want to ssh into another computer on my LAN. On previous Archlinux based installs I would make sure I followed the instructions on the Archlinux Avahi wiki page and and then I could simple do
ssh jim@foobar.local
if I wanted to login in as user “jim” onto server “foobar”
I have avahi-daemon.service enabled and started and I have the file /etc/nsswitch.conf with this line added from the default
hosts: mymachines mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] files myhostname dns

I’m not sure why I’m getting hostname not resolved?

How to Connect via SSH

Open the SSH terminal on your machine and run the following command: ssh your_username@host_ip_address. ...
Type in your password and hit Enter. ...
When you are connecting to a server for the very first time, it will ask you if you want to continue connecting.

That always works if you remember all the IP address on your local LAN. I want to use FQDN which works on .local domains. I can do this from all my other systems to and from all other systems. I used to be able to do it with Archlinux/EOS. However, on this install of EOS, I can’t find a way to make it work by just following the Avahi wiki.

The latest version of EOS now ships with a firewall. You probably need to allow the “mdns” service in your zone.

2 Likes

Thanks, that was it. I noticed the stack of bricks in my Task manager on the right side but didn’t think that meant the default was firewall on.

Again, thanks for pointing this out.

2 Likes