Honestly considering throwing the towel in

At this point, I’d say the OP is OT :rofl:

That’s not what I meant at all actually.

A lot of times we insist that the solution to our problem is X, we spend an exuberant amount of time trying to accomplish X, but the real solution to our problem is actually Y. But because we are so completely focused on X, we keep trying to find ways to get to it.

It’s a very common thing humans do actually. I think @jonathon did a write up on this a few years ago on one of the various forums.

3 Likes

Hi all I am back had a day away, spat my dummy out big time and I am 47 years old!

Long story short I can watch almost ‘anything’ I want to, I do not watch much TV but a lot of football or ‘soccer’ as some of you may call it

Ok my initial problem was I could not get the latest version of tvheadend working, I think I know what the problem is my dvb card needs to be in the same group as tvheadend

Now this can be done in docker I think, I installed docker and then the portainer image I set it up in the web browser rebooted my PC and then could log back in I nearly threw my keyboard through the window

Here is another example of my frustration last night I was updating some stuff on my phone so installed android-platform-tools from the AUR could not get it work in adb for the life of me then went on youtube watched a 1.24 minute video which had the following command

sudo pacman -S android-tools - bam done 20 seconds phone connected

I had previously searched pacman -Ss platform-tools, android-sdk etc you get the point

I am here for good I am not leaving but my original issue I have been on for weeks, I am a DX’er - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DXing - thats a simplified version of what I do

Basically I usually watch tv in the corner of my screen whilst doing whatever, I am on a 55 inch OLED tv, ‘feeds’ get posted online I scan them in enter the biss key and watch the current programme

I am here for good its done I need to figure it out yesterday I was just venting :relaxed:

1 Like

What are you actually trying to achieve?
You mentioned docker. You installed docker to get your DVB up and running? Which software do you want to use? vdr, tvheadend, kodi, …?

It is well known in the dx ‘circles’ that linux is not great for our hobby

tvheadend as backend kodi as frontend

I can get version 4.2.8 working no problem, but that is about 4 years old I am missing a lot of features with the latest builds

Btw I have posted on the tvheadend forums but its so niche there is not a lot of help

Basically I am watching TV signals from all over the world directly not an IP stream I am watching the actual ‘feed’ its gets intercepted and descrambled with a very big satellite dish lol

I am trying to do stuff that tvheadend probably isnt designed for but its the best of a bad bunch, there is actually another program call dvblast but thats another notch higher

Very happy with endeavourOS its more frustration with my experience and abilities to figure out simple problems :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :weary:

This hasn’t been updated in 9 years.

user needs to be in the group ?
gpasswd -a [user] video the only group i can think of … but also a pre systems group that should not be needed…

video /dev/fb/0, /dev/misc/agpgart Access to video capture devices, 2D/3D hardware acceleration, framebuffer (X can be used without belonging to this group).

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Users_and_groups#Group_management

and read the wiki article …

this is also helping:
https://www.linuxtv.org/

There are a lot info on the web about linuxtv.

Thanks everyone as you can probably tell I have the patience of a warthog

1 Like