Hi, new user here

Just like to say hi, new EOS user coming from Manjaro (my journey is Windows 10 → Mint → Manjaro → EOS). I started by resurrecting my 10 year old Acer 1810TZ laptop and installed EOS Xfce, everything works perfect and I’m super happy. Next step will be to do a clean install of EOS KDE on my main desktop machine.

I have been reading a lot on the forum, it’s a very friendly place both for beginners and more advanced users, I’m feeling at home already :sunglasses:.

Besides learning Linux, I also like Blender and some Python programming as a hobby (some QT apps and a Blender plugin).

Here is the specs for the crappy Acer laptop for your enjoyment :crazy_face::

12 Likes

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard!

3 Likes

Welcome and have a good journey! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome aboard!

3 Likes

welcome

3 Likes

Great to see that you are giving a second life to your laptop of 3Go RAM !
Enjoy your journey here @akej74 :wave:

1 Like

Everything worked fine booting up Xfce, using 500-600 MB. Then I started FF and opened 10 tabs, memory usage went up to 2 GB and counting :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Welcome to the fun.

2 Likes

Welcome here !!! I am also quite new here (also coming from Manjaro after 3 years) and I have just end to install my 3 laptops (with KDE). Very good distro, needs to adjust a little as some things are not working exactly like Manjaro (it’s closer to Arch) but the community is REALLY FRIENDLY and I got quick and accurate answers to my questions. A real good experience, and I wish you the best.

5 Likes

Welcome @pierrep56!

Welcome!

2 Likes

welcome

:wave:t3:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :beers:

2 Likes

Välkommen Åke! :smile:

(Hope I guessed your name right!)

If you happen to have a spare SSD around, that would make the machine fly compared to HDD…

2 Likes

Tack @manuel, det stämmer :grinning:

I did actually replace the HDD with a SSD, that made a huge difference in performance.

Now I’m looking into adding more memory, but it may be difficult to find compatible modules as the machine is manufactured in 2009… Two modules are installed as follows:

2 Likes

You’d probably be able to buy a newer (second-hand/ex-corporate) laptop for the same price as 4GB RAM for that one. :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome! Good to have you with us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:wave: …Welcome!!

3 Likes

here in USA. Hell, I may even have some kicking around at home now that I think about it. I don’t know what it owuld cost to send it to you (Sweden?) But, if you have an ebay type thing where you are, I’d check that out. I’ll check and if I do, if you don’t mind someone you randomly met on the internet to ship you something, you’re welcome to it.

3 Likes

Hi @fbodymechanic, thanks for you suggestion, but I think I will retire the laptop for good as I need something a bit more powerful. The keyboard is also about to give up and the 1.3 GHz Pentium dual core is not delivering “ top notch” performance exactly… :upside_down_face: