Hey fellow Endeavour users, I'm Osiris

Hi all,

great to meet you! I’m Osiris I am a long time GNU/Linux and Unix user (20 years or so) I’ve always liked to keep an eye on what Distributions are out there but in the past I have always stuck with RedHat based systems (Fedora) for my main machines. That’s now changed having finally installed Endeavour OS a few weeks ago. I must say I’m quite annoyed as I’ve really missed out on a few years here :smile:

As above I’m interested in Linux and all things FOSS, I’m also highly active in the InfoSec industry as I’m a Penetration Tester/Security researcher and Head of Offensive Security for a UK based Cyber Security company.

Would be great to meet new people with similar interests and I really want to help where/if I can. I absolutely love what has been built here, keep up the great work everyone!

See you around.

Osiris

8 Likes

Welcome to the community!!

1 Like

Osiris

3 Likes

Welcome aboard! :rocket:
honka_animated-128px-40

Nice blog you have… :male_detective:

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s gone a little stale I really need to get it updated at some point!

1 Like

Finally the right context instead of a shoe! Thanks for the welcome

1 Like

Thanks Dalto

1 Like

Yeah, Endeavour sucks. :wink: I have had Debian on my Nextcloud/Plex server for the last 4 years but many distros on my laptops. Now because of Endravour I have to remember the Nextcloud setup steps when I wipe it and install Arch. Endeavour put the fun back in.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!
ComplicatedWildKitten-small

2 Likes

Welcome @osiris

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @osiris :enos: :enos_flag:

1 Like

Hello and welcome @osiris :wave: Enjoy the purple ride :enos_flag:

1 Like

2 Likes

Welcome ! :handshake: :enos: :enos_flag:

1 Like

Welcome osiris!

1 Like

Thank you all for the warm welcome, much appreciated.

3 Likes

Dear Osiris and all other friends:

First I liked the screen-name of yours and then I liked your post. It has some things common with me too. I also used RH and Fedora for a long time, SuSE and Ubuntu for some time, and then finally I discovered the concept of rolling distributions like Arch some three year back. This seemed a far better thing than the earlier ones. And then I got an annoying problem with my VGA, it was a legacy NVIDIA, and to say in short, a total nuisance. At that time one of my old student become friends, he now works in a good software firm, mentioned about EOS, he read somewhere about its NVIDIA handling, and that is how, I came to it, and it really worked. For the last one year I have hardly ever remembered the NVIDIA nightmare. EOS is dynamic and living, and full of power, like Arch. And free from that hassle of upgrading the version every six months or so.

I am also a believer in FLOSS. From 1998 or so I have not used any MS or Apple thing. I did my PhD about the Political Economy of Computing and later wrote a book too that is on my website, nicknamed as ‘FLOSS and Hegemony’. I put the book there for anyone to read. I had a bad experience about the book with the then powers that be in FSF and FLOSS. In this six decade long life of mine I have hardly ever got to know people who can welcome criticism. Anyway I am quite pleased with my life and my wife who is my BFF :slight_smile:, and my family. I once called myself writer-teacher-activist – now I am a writer and teacher, mainly in Bangla, my language, action getting really scarce in this old life of mine, after my heart surgery. (You already know another thing about me – I am quite talkative, and I have right to be, I am a third-generation teacher, and my son is a teacher too.)

Take Care: All of You

Dipankar