Herbstluftwm

A new window manager I never heard of before I read this article maybe 5 minutes ago. Seems to be interesting.
Looks like the creator likes german names for programs :

I liked the name of the e-mail client wanderlust. Unfortunately I am a happy mutt user, so I needed an other application with a similar name.

• the creator of herbstluftwm

Not to forget :
the translation of the name is autumn air :grinning:

Herbstluft a dead simple windowmanager

2 Likes

I, also, enjoy it. Although I have to say I find bspwm, much better. :wink:

Not that it has anything to do with anything but I still canā€™t see that and in my head not read ā€œBhaalspawnā€.
ā€¦Yes, I played a LOT of Baldurā€™s Gate back in the day.

I donā€™t do games on computers at all ā€¦ sorry I have no idea what Baldurā€™s Gate isā€¦ Iā€™m simply out of touch.

I remember the name of the game but never played it. I think it was back in the 80 or early 90s

I do remember the name of the game

:wink: :innocent:

I know that itā€™s the wrong thread for this link but

Scnr

Looks very interesting! I think Iā€™m going to give it a try. And itā€™s in the Arch repos:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/herbstluftwm/

A beautiful name, but I highly doubt itā€™s pronounced the way the author of the article claims:

:smile:

@Tasia91
Youā€™re right. The transcription is totally wrong. :joy:
Herbst ist quite easy. The e after the H ist pronounced like the e in evaluation. No letter muted.
A lot of english speaking people tend to pronounce that e close to the german ƶ. Like in herbal.
Luft would be pronounced Looft (oo like in the word school but shorter).

1 Like

And the last part (ā€œwmā€) sounds like ā€œvimā€ :slightly_smiling_face: I was just listening to the pronunciation via Google Translate :sweat_smile:

Itā€™s an role playing game for the PC based on Dungeon and Dragons 3.5 Edition that came out in 1998. So a while ago. :slight_smile:

@Tasia91
wm would be pronounced :
w = ve(nture)
m = em(barass)
So there is no i in it

@Beardedgeek72
So I missed the target. I thought it was approximately 10 years earlier.

1 Like

Have anyone been using hlwm? I canā€™t figure out how to resize (or at least zoom) floating frames with keyboard keys. The documentation is not the greatest and all Iā€™ve seen so far refers only to mouse bindings :persevere:
The ā€œnormalā€ resizing doesnā€™t seem to work on floating framesā€¦

This is how I speak it as a native german speaker :rofl:

2 Likes

Does anyone know the origin of the name of this window manager? Was it created in autumn or does it have to do with the way of the wm works? (I ever used it, hence my question)

L"uh"ft is about right for US English speakersā€¦

ā€œDeutschesprache schwere Spracheā€ is what my oma always saidā€¦ :wink: Also dann, viel spaƟ!!!

Hƶstluft :slight_smile:

1 Like

To me it sounds close to ā€˜(lu)miĆØreā€™ :thinking:

I think itā€™s the latter. Itā€™s probably was the authorā€™s intention that the user should be as bad in pronouncing its name as in configuring it :sweat_smile: That seems to be my case anyways :unamused:

2 Likes

As for the nameā€¦ hereā€™s what the site offers in its FAQ:

Q: Why is herbstluftwm called herbstluftwm?

I liked the name of the e-mail client wanderlust. Unfortunately I am a happy mutt user, so I needed an other application with a similar name.

1 Like

So I gave it a try.2020-04-09-21:14:16-screenshot

2 Likes

#Herbstluftwm version 0.8 window manager setup

3 Likes