Herbstluftwm on Arch Linux

ok so beofre I started using Bspwm I was hooked on herbstluftwm and 3 years ago me and a friend from G+ (a Gnome user) made a vid. I think it’s a great video
and wanted to share it with you. Make sure you 'll watch to the end. The outro is something of its own

if it’s unsuitable - just remove it

1 Like

you could provide a little tutorial here on how to install and configure it :wink:

It’s just like other tiling wm’s . install it. copy the examples files to .config and start it. I used dzen2 as a panel back then but to learn how to script a panel was to much of a hassle for me - so I switched to polybar a week later. jaagr had just finished writing poly at the time. Soon after I switched to bspwm.

I just thought it was a fun video to share - as it is kinda fun to watch - and ofc Jessica Alba is in it :innocent:

Edit
As requested - I’ will write a tutorial on how to instsall herbstluftwm when I getthe time. Probably tonight or tomorrow. I can also write a tutorial on how to install and get a functional bspwm if anyone is interested. Less than 5 hearts equals no interest :rofl:

2 Likes

Haha, outro is really great :grin:
I like the active window border hoghlighting, looks really nice.
Cool video, my only concern is isn’t it exposing too much of someones private stuff… :wink: But that depend on someones privacy model I guess.

1 Like

the highlightning waas done during the video editing. what privacy stff you mean? this is my desktop and i have nothing to hide

I am tempted to try one of these tiling WMs, feels like another step up on my personal nerd scale :slight_smile:
Is bspwm a good one to start with?

it’s considered for advanced users. there’s not much documentation on bspwm. but it’s not difficult at all. You have any questions I’ll be glad to help you get started

2 Likes

No man! Don’t you ever say that…

on the pc I meant. I just meant it was nothing shown in there that was private in any way

1 Like

I mean my point of view on that is a bit paranoic, and if all that stuff shown on video was just generic and not yours, than good.
If for example video you played, or music, or email address, or website like G+ were real, then it is potentially good material for hacker to prepare directed attack on you, because it reveals your preferences, shows which services you use, what is your login or name on that service etc etc and then preparing good email that will deceive you is more likely to be successful than random ‘dead millionaire uncle from Africa’.
Like I said, it’s my (perhaps weird) pov, video is great anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah I get you - but the vid is 3 years old. My habits have changed G+ doesn’t exist anymore. SO nothing in that vid was/is of any value to Mr Robot and his friends :wink:

I oppose strongly any form for government surveillance but that doesn’t mean I have something to hide. I have nothing to hide but still I want my privacy. If we’re truly gonna be paranoid here we can’t interact at all on the internet. Something you say in a forum can be c/p and twisted into something totally different 10 years from now. All we can do is live our life’s and if someone wants to hack my computer I’ll lol til I die. I have one computer I use for more sensitive stuff but the others I can give out usernames and passwords without any worries. They are just tools for browsing - torrenting -music and watching movies.

1 Like

Thats whole big offtop going on :slight_smile: I’d like to end it but…

I believe I will never understand that sentence…
I think we just understand privacy differently.
I have stuff to hide just because I believe it’s my private stuff, like photos from holiday, my today job notes, or text message to my wife saying ‘Good morning honey’. I won’t let ANYONE see any of those without my permission, because it’s private and therefore it is stuff to hide. So in my understanding private=hidden by default.
Looking from the other side: why would I open myself and say: ‘there’s no crime stuff in my photo collection so I won’t hide it’? Just to prove anyone that it’s legal? No f… way, it’s mine, and I’ll rather delete it (in a safe manner) rather than show it to anyone just to prove that I’m ‘clean’. I know, that my stuff is legal and it satisfies my sense of conscience.

Tl;Dr
I have everything to hide by default.

If I decide to go on endeavour forum, use my name, photo or e-mail -than it’s something I consider as trade-off: I care about that project so I decided to sacrifice this tiny part of mine privacy.

1 Like

We agree on the important matter. we just see it differently. might be because of cultural differences. It’s just that I don’t mind if you see my msg to my wife where I call her honey :rofl: and you think it’s between the two of you. That’s the only difference. I don’t care if people see my holiday photos - if they are interested I’ll gladly show them. It has nothing to do with illegal stuff. Some things I also want to keep private ofc. Privacy should be a human right if you have something to hide or not. Where I disagree is where you say you sacrifice a tiny part of your privacy - which I see as impossible. either you’re private or you’re not. Anything you have typed in this forum or wherever on the intewebs can be misused in the future by someone with bad intentions. There’s endless possibilities for someone to abuse our interactions on the internet. IF I spent my time thinking of that - I’d throw away my comps and never visit internet again. Be careful - know what you’re doing - stay within the laws and still you might have trouble in the future.
Privacy is almost an illusion if you’re active on the internet

1 Like

And with this sad agreement let’s end offtop :slight_smile:

1 Like