Help with procedure, to format and Encrypt an external HDD

My point wasn’t that the gui didn’t support dry run, just that you could use it if you wanted to be careful which was your reason for using the gui. From my perspective, rsync is quicker, easier and more clear from the command line. TO me the command line options are easy to read and the GUI makes it harder. I understand that if you are gui-centric, you might prefer the opposite.

It is entirely a matter of personal preference so we are probably never going to agree on this one. :wink:

1 Like

I hate typing too, which is why I use aliases so much.

Pretty much everything I do on a semi regular basis is condensed into a 2-4 char alias. They will accumulate with OS usage over time, but they are more efficient IMHO and save a lot of typing. A lot of these aliases I have to cat the alias file to remember the exact syntax of the actual command.

This.

With something as fundamental as encryption I wouldn’t trust a GUI tool, especially as it is only two commands to encrypt a parition and format with a file system.

2 Likes

Maybe so - but I would hardly characterize my preferences as ‘GUI centric’! My usual preference is CLI based (has been for more years than Linux has been around) - but on seldom used and/or complex commands, a good GUI can save some angst. Anything I use a lot will probably be aliased or bash functioned into ease-of-use…

Less distance between our positions than perhaps you suspected! :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.