Help with choosing laptop or PC

If you haven’t been a naughty boy, one might be in the making for you!

:speech_balloon:
:santa:t5:

But seriously, I know you know a lot about hardware. What are your thoughts about the machine? The specs, the build, etc.? Will it Linux?

Are you talking about this one? It’s gaming machine for sure.

Edit: I think it’s very nice but expensive.

1 Like

Yes. That one. I think more in terms of video/photo editing/production sort of tasks. Not so much gaming.
Is it overkill?

It sure is.
So it’s not worth it? I know this small family-run pc-shop since some years. I could perhaps get a low-interest monthly payment plan. But then I couldn’t afford anymore stuff hardware-wise for some years to come. That’s why I asked if it is a good investment.

I wouldn’t say it’s overkill as far as the computer goes but the price is a lot. I think you could get something more budget conscious that would be similar in performance. May not look as nice? This is a SFF tower design. It is pretty nice. But if you compare it spec wise to a system76 Thelio it’s probably similar.

Edit:
I just priced a Thelio Mira with similar specs and is $5223 US

Edit2: This is a much larger tower. But nice looking also like furniture.

1 Like

Thanks! You are right! I know I have such a soft spot for nice things :blush:
I guess all this Black Week’s stuff is getting the better of me :man_facepalming:t5:

That’s a lot more than the Aorus!

I think I’ve seen them in some YT video. Almost the double of the price!

I guess it was this one:

just for your information
above 5800x ( 5900x and 5950x ) ,
you need a HEAVY and EFFICIENT COOLER
so with a video card about 240 -300w inside …

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up!
I do wonder how they really mange effectively the cooling in that “compact” case. Definitely something to think about.

The airflow comes in from the bottom two side and vents out the top with fan. These AMD do put out a bit of heat. They are 105W. Even my 3800X is same.

Edit: It cools fine just heats up the space.

Yes, I saw that in their video as well. Yet it remains to see how efficient that is when you put it through some heavy tasks.

Very likely :fire:

That’s part of why I went with the 5700G at 65W … less heat and less fan noise.

1 Like

Hi again,

I got a bit sidetracked by all the Black Magic Days hype. Now I am back on my quest for a new laptop or pc for my bro’ ther.

I have found these two below in the price range 900-1000€.

Asus ExpertCenter X5 Mini Tower
Ryzen 7 4700G
2x8 GB RAM
512GB SSD
Mobo AMD B550

Lenovo ThinkCentre M75q G2 Tiny
Ryzen 7 PRO 4750GE
16GB RAM,
512GB SSD

Please share your thoughts and comments. I would really appreciate it.

@pebcak
The Asus ExpertCenter x5 Mini Tower specs show also Nvidia Graphics. Does it come with nvidia also?

They show these:

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT710 2GB DDR5 : 1x DVI, 1x D-SUB, 1x HDMI
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX1650 4GB DDR6 : 1x DP, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT1030 2GB : 1x DVI, 1x HDMI

Also the 4700G is an unlocked processor.

The 4750 is of the pro series and is not unlocked but does support amdgpu pro.

1 Like

Thanks @ricklinux for your reply!

The Asus configuration I have been looking at doesn’t come with any dGPU.

So which one do you think is better between these two?

I’m not sure which one would be better for you. What is the end use? I’m sure either one would be fine for every day use. But myself i would probably take the Asus.

Edit: The lenovo is Tiny!

Just ordinary everyday use like web-browsing, streaming content, etc.
My brother is a bit of photo and video enthusiast so perhaps some photo/video editing as well.

It is! I like its tiny size actually, but personally I

as well.

Either one is probably fine for just an everyday use. Like i say the Lenovo has the pro version of the AMD Ryzen processor line. So it is capable of using the amdgpu pro drivers. It’s very small in size compared to the SFF Asus i would think. Overall both are okay. Just personal preference. I think you can do more with the Asus mini tower. Possibly additional drive etc.

1 Like

This is my thinking as well. Thank you so much @ricklinux for your support! I appreciate it.
I am going to have some talk with him this afternoon to see which one he prefers. A small factor PC or a laptop. He has the option to upgrade some hardware in his Dell Vostro as well. So let’s see.

Thanks again!

What laptop are you looking at the lenovo?

Perhaps something like this:

Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro - 14" | Ryzen 7 5800H | 16GB | 512GB | 90Hz - BF21