[HELP] Not able to select the correct Audio profile for my headphones

Hello Community!

I’ve been searching for a few weeks now for a way to get my system to output in stereo mode instead of surround sound. What I thought should have been an easy fix has lead me down so many rabbit holes of Linux audio… And I still feel like I don’t understand any of it.

To start here’s my setup and my problem:

Running EndeavorOS with GNOME

I have my headphones (Sennheiser Jubilee HD58X) and mic plugged into an audio interface (the EVO4 specifically). The interface is then plugged into my PC via USB. My issue is that PulseAudio configuration for this device (the EVO4) only has profiles for 4.0 output, so my system is outputting in Front-Right/Left and Back-Right/Left with the rear channels not working at all. This creates the problem in games where I am unable to clearly hear sounds coming from behind my character, and no sound at all directly behind.

When my headphones are connected directly to the PC, they are properly stereo with only L/R channel.

I was hoping it would be as easy as selecting a stereo profile, but none exists. So I figured I would try to create my own, but this is not as straight forward as I thought it would be.

As a work around for now, I am aware of PipeWire so that I can route the app’s rear outputs to the corresponding front input of my EVO4, but this feels janky and it seems like I have to do it per app.

Can anyone help me understand Linux audio enough to be able to create a profile for my EVO4 (without losing my XLR mic) or some other solution so that I can just FORCE STEREO to my system?

I can try to provide more detail if needed, but I’ve tried so many things so far that I just want to get this post up and see if there’s something obvious that I’ve somehow missed.

You can add a stereo profile. Read this on how to create this.

There is several posts around about EVO4 on linux. According to some this interface works out of the box on buntu 22.10 with pipewire so it should be able to work fine on arch also.

This post might also help you setting up profiles