Help needed with creating similar app

How do I add separator at the bottom below which will add “Troubleshooting” & Goodbye buttons ? Point me to code maybe ?

I think you can use a LBL field of a form. See man yad for more.

Hi @TechXero,

1. Which programming languages (or scripting languages) are you familiar with? If you haven’t tried much programming, Python is my recommendation since it is the quickest to pick up.

2. Have you worked with a GUI toolkit before? If not, I suggest checking out a visual GUI builder like Glade or Qt Designer.

3. Do you have difficulty building a graphical interface or connecting them to functions?

1 Like

None to first no to second and yes to last

If you’re interested, you can check out the links from my above post (for Glade and Qt Designerand play around with various graphical elements that you can visually design. I have used Glade for GUI design. Qt Designer is also very capable and fun to use.

I also have a group on Discord for people either learning or developing applications for Linux: https://discord.gg/d6Ew2PZ3kb

1 Like

Thanks buddy… .I just want to make that welcome app. Yad is enough for what I need for now… As I mentioned before I have a Store now barely enough time for myself. My distro is done I only update it from time to time… If you can help me make that simple app would be grateful otherwise will see what I can scrape together…

@manuel

Hey budy. I am reviving this thread for a simple question regarding same app. Been happy with it so far but I recently created one for “Legacy” nVidia drivers,

I want to add a button above the rest centered that will allow users to query which GPU they currently got… And if I can replace links with a popup that will list cards for each series.

My code for this below, please help me with it. thanks… I can always rely on your expertise :wink:

#!/bin/bash
yad --title "XeroLinux nVidia Legacy Driver Selection Tool" --form --columns=2 --width=480 --height=160 --text="Use this tool to install the right <b>Legacy Driver</b> for your nVidia card." --image=$HOME/xero.png \
--field="List Of Fermi GeForce GPUs":fbtn "xdg-open https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4656/~/list-of-fermi-series-geforce-gpus" \
--field="Install Fermi GPU Legacy Drivers":fbtn "konsole --noclose -e sh -c '/usr/local/bin/nv390xx'" \
--field="List Of Kepler GeForce GPUs":fbtn "xdg-open https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5204/~/list-of-kepler-series-geforce-desktop-gpus" \
--field="Install Kepler GPU Legacy Drivers":fbtn "konsole --noclose -e sh -c '/usr/local/bin/nv470xx'" \
--button=Exit:1

Also if you have tips on how to improve it, they more than welcome :smiley:

yad is rather limited on the layout of the buttons.

One idea is to add more --button entries. However, they will appear at the same line as the current Exit button.

Then, the field entries can call any command, or bash functions (functions must be exported.) That gives lots more opportunities for what actions can be done.

Ok thanks, but how do I go implement that in my script ? Can you send me an example ? Cannot find any online :frowning:

I’m not sure what you’re asking.
You’ll find the GPU of your machine e.g. with this command:

lspci | grep -P 'VGA|3D|Display'

No I mean an example of what you said above. If you want you can modify my own script and show me what you meant

Hmm…
I meant you can use more --field or --button entries. Should be quite straightforward coding.

Please note that unfortunately I’m currently very busy with other stuff (both the EndeavousOS stuff and some personal stuff as well) so hopefully someone else here can help you more if needed.