Help installing on btrfs

Hi, I’m planning to install EndeavourOS with KDE on a btrfs file system using this guide (without encryption, as I don’t really need it).

I’m moving from Manjaro KDE and would like to keep my /home. It’s on a separate ext4 partition, so in the past I just mounted it there without formatting and that was it. But since I’m moving to btrfs, and now /home is located in the @home subvolume, it’s not possible to simply do that.

I have an external HDD to use for the backup, but not sure how to go about it. Is a backup using rsync enough? I’m a little worried about that because it’s my /home so there will be constant changes in it during the backup. Is something snapshot based better?

So, what I’m asking is how to go about backing up my current /home partition so that I can restore it into the @home subvolume after my install?

You can if you want to. If you tell the installer about your /home volume, it won’t create @home.

Just be extra careful to not check the format checkbox.

Yes, as long as you use the right flags. I will update this post with them in a minute.

Here you go

sudo rsync -aAXHv /home/ /new/location/for/files

You would have the same problem either way. That being said, it shouldn’t be a major problem. However, if you want to be extra cautious you could boot off the live ISO and copy the data from there so it wouldn’t be in use.

4 Likes

Would it be a good idea to simply mount it like that, given it’s a different filesystem? Although I realize that the benefits of using btrfs (i.e. no-cost snapshots mainly) is not really important for /home, I’m not confident if using separate filesystems is a good idea. I think I’ll end up using rsync backup.

There is no problem doing so but also no good reason to do so from my perspective. I actually think snapshots of /home are quite useful. It is great when you accidentally delete or overwrite a file.

1 Like

Understood. One last thing, would it be possible to reinstall the system while keeping the @home subvolume intact like I could do with a separate /home partition? I tried searching online but couldn’t find a definitive answer.

Hmm…I never tried that. It would be interesting to test that in a VM and see what happens. It will try to create the subvolume but that should fail. As long as the installer keeps going, it won’t be a problem. If it crashes the install, that would be a problem.

However, it would almost definitely work if you renamed @home before the install and then renamed it back afterwards.

1 Like

Alright, I think I’ll try making the backup using rsync from the installation ISO. I’ll add the -l flag though, as I want my symlinks to be copied as symlinks. I’ll post an update here after I’m done.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.