Help getting extra hard-drives automatically mounted on login

When I’m serious I use the terminal as everyone here will probably suggest.
However sometimes I like using GUI tools and enjoy the simplicity of it.
I recommend you use Disks. If you don’t already have it, you would need to install gnome-disk-utility like this:

yay -S gnome-disk-utility

You will then find Disks in your applications menu:
capture-200604-135500

Then you
A. Select the disk you are interested in by clicking on it
B. Select the partition by clicking on it
C. Click Additional partition options

capture-200604-135726

Then select Edit mount options

capture-200604-135921
And finally select all the mount options:
a. Uncheck so you can select your custom options
b. This is the main thing, you would want to check that to automount on system startup
c. Checking this will display the partition in your File Manager Devices panel (see last pic). There could be cases where you would want to automount a partition but not clutter your file manager devices panel (like you can see in my last pic there’s a partition called 128GB volume. I would probably uncheck b and c for that because that is a foreign OS that I don’t want to accidentally mess around, so I’d probably better not have it automount, nor show in my File manager.
d. This is the name you want to show in File Manager (again see last pic)
e. These are the mount parameters. I’d leave them as is if you don’t really know what you are doing.
f. Where you want the partition to be mounted
capture-200604-140210

After pressing OK the mount parameters are automatically written to /etc/fstab. Editing them in /etc/fstab, or changing them here does the same thing. Here’s the line that the options in the screen above translate to in my fstab:

capture-200604-142742

Here’s how it would look in File Manager:
capture-200604-141441

As always remember that when you are working with drives there is a danger of ruining data. For example if in the first pic you were to press the minus sign instead of the “Additional mount options” you would effectively delete the partition with everything on it (there would be a prompt asking to confirm before doing so, but hey…).

11 Likes