Hello, what a great community here!

Hi all!
Thought it was about time i did a formal introduction.
Been lurking on here for a few days, with the occasional reply here and there, and I was immediately amazed by the welcoming vibe you gives give off here.

I’ve only been using Linux as my main driver, since the beginning of the pandemic, so that would make it about 6 months.
Stereotypically started out with Ubuntu, lasted about 3 days before getting frustrated, used PopOS! as my main driver for the next three months, and gained most of my linux knowledge and confidence during that time.

After those 3 first months I felt the need to go more lightweight, and took the plunge and installed vanilla Arch on one of my laptops. Between then and now I’ve installed other derivatives on my other devices (Manjaro, Arco, and now EndeavourOS)
I actually really like Arco, but after seeing that I have a much leaner system running on EndeavourOS, I’m positive I’ll stick with this.

On a professional level, I work on the graphical department at a stand building company.
My job there is signmaker, which means 90% of the time graphics are provided by the client, and my job mostly consists of checking them for errors, and prepping them for vinyl cutting / printing on textile.

Everything there happens on Adobe software, and sadly this is the only thing keeping me going back to Windows for now. (Tried Gimp and Inkscape, but I really can’t get used to them… I’m also not to confident about compatibility with client provided files)

Other than that I’ve become a full on Linux fanboy in a fairly short time.
Seeing that there is such a friendly community supporting it warms my heart, and in turn I too will do my best to provide some support to fellow newbies

27 Likes

Welcome aboard!

2 Likes

Welcome here and have a nice time!

2 Likes

Welcome and have a nice journey! :rocket:

You my friend come to the right place, i can hook you up with fully working Photoshop CC on Wine :wink:
Sadly Illustrator i can’t hook you up with, there are some serious bugs still…But maybe Inkscape will be good for you :slight_smile:

I’m in a similar situation, need that one for compatibility for work…

1 Like

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

hah! just replied to you in another post…
Photoshop isn’t the problem though… I think i can get by with Krita for the few times I need to do photo editing.
Most of my work is done in Illustrator and Indesign though, and no matter how hard I try, I can’t get to grips with it…

Also my workstation at work is still running Windows (no getting away from that), so constantly having to switch programs, workflows and keybindings won’t do any good to my productivity sadly.

I have an older Mac Mini at home, with the Affinity programs, which are a really good alternative to adobe, but I don’t think there’s a way to get OSX programs running on Linux, or am I wrong?

1 Like

Yeah, weirdly enough it’s easier to fire Windows ones in Wine…
Let’s continue in other thread or PM, i haven’t tried InDesign but maybe will get it to work :thinking:

Afiinity btw for some reason doesn’t work on Wine too :confused:

Welcome Krimkerre! :tada::balloon: Love your avatar btw :monkey_face:

2 Likes

Guess it’s the most accurate way to depict my personality :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

:monkey_face: welcome at MS-Endeavour :enos_flag:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard!

HUH??? MS is buying everything these days :rofl:

1 Like

Welcome! :smile:

And thanks for the nice picture you already provided for us! I just hope you’ll keep doing it! :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

To be honest, it was just a wallpaper I snagged from wallpaperflare, and stuck a logo on for laughs and giggles. But since there is interest, and I do graphical work for a living, I’ll put in some work to make some real home made artisanal artwork for you guys :wink:

4 Likes

Fantastic! :smile:

I know you don’t need that much photoshop, but if you’re used to that already, you could try out PhotoGIMP.

1 Like

You do know that you have to pay $60 USD a month to use the forum right?
It’s all for charity so we can buy games. LOL!

ups! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: now I’ve given it away :grimacing:

MotorShip

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :beers:

1 Like