Hello from Germany

Hello forum,
just a short introduction from me:
I recently (2h ago) installed EndeavourOS as my new start into the arch galaxy. I have been with arch before as manjaro, but we failed miserably to coexist so deleted. But back to the start - i have been around linux for a long time, on and off. Started with Slackware back in the days (199x), SuSE before it became Tumbleweed, but never stayed longer because, well, gaming was only possible on Windows. Then, after my old computer died i was frustrated with Windows and went to the slick side of Apple - Mac Mini with SSD retrofit; this device was fine until i wanted to play games agan, so i ordered a new Computer with RTX 1080 and Ryzen7 1800x and had much fun playing games again.

Lately Windows 10 again became “unruly”, me unable to update and even the reinstall failed. I ragequit windows and went to Ubuntubudgie and Mint which were fine as i have some servers running Ubuntu anyways. Slick experience but - crashes again! FRUSTRATION!! After some reinstalls and downloading the internet in search of an answer to the black screens i found that my cpu was only ok when i throttled to 4 cores - unacceptable! So i decided to do an upgrade earlier than i wished, and also taking the chance to start over with arch again (now, slowly, coming to the point…).
I did some research and decided i wanted to try something different, not the Manjaro way (failed before), not the arch way (i dont have the time to /totally/ start from scratch), but something different. NOW –
found EndeavourOS and here i am. Hope to have some fun and, of course, success.( But i have to confess that i still have my Mint partitionions live if things get messed up too much).

Regards,
Burschi500

15 Likes

Hello and welcome my friend!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

If you hit any roadblocks, feel free to ask for help. Lots of helpful people here.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :beers:

3 Likes

Willkommen, das deutsche subforum ist auch da wenn es dir danach ist:

5 Likes

Welcome to EndeavourOS! Enjoy your time here!

3 Likes

Welcome @Burschi500
Well i think you made a good choice. Have fun!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard.

2 Likes

Hey! :slight_smile: Good to have you with us! Hopefully your journey will be a little smoother from the experience you’ve gained over the years. Always good to have a Plan B just in case… :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome mate.

2 Likes

Hello from Mannheim

3 Likes

Hallo :wave: wie geht’s?

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Burschi500 :partying_face: :tada: :balloon:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

To avoid further frustration in the future, please come here and ask in case of any problems.
No software is perfect, but practically all issues can be solved.

And here you’ll always get friendly and great advice. :+1:

4 Likes

Welcome to this awesome community!

3 Likes

Well, im not frustrated at all, everything works pretty (surprisingly?) well. Can’t understand the “terminalcentric” term, at least for my taste its easy going so far. Everything works pretty well ootb, except printing and scanning of course which needs some tweaking.
I still have to get used to using pacman and yay, not fully understanding the system so far but i’m early in so no probs.
Got Virtualbox going with W10 and Skyticket without any Problems, will continue :smiley:

… and of course thank you all for the warm welcome!

6 Likes

Great to hear you feel comfortable with EndeavourOS so far. :smile:

The “terminal centric” manifests itself with tools like pacman and yay.
There are GUI alternatives for them, but due to many reasons (explained in many threads too) we decided to use the command line tools, which are great when you get to know them well.

We have some small GUI apps too to make getting started a bit easier.

And the Welcome app is useful for many crucial system maintenance tasks, as well as a channel to provide the latest information to users about our software changes (the Software News button).

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Burschi500 !!! If you do look for some fun…well… you have landed on the right spot. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

As a fellow Bratwurstesser, I welcome you to the forum!

3 Likes

Welcome und Willkommen!

2 Likes