Hello from an English person in Scotland

Hi,

I’m Clementine. I’ve used Arch since late 2005. It stopped me distro hopping. Loved it. Got a new laptop the other day, nothing fancy, but I was busy working from home when it arrived. I’ve no idea why the urge struck me, but I decided to try one of the Arch-based distros instead. (Maybe I was just feeling lazy…)

After spending my lunch break doing a bit of research I decided to give EndeavourOS a try, so here I am. Install went perfectly smoothly, everything is running great. (Systemd did have a very minor tantrum and tried to load the wrong backlight unit but that was easily fixed.)

I’m liking EndeavourOS. I still have pacman (best package manager) and the AUR, so it’s all good :smiley:

I would say something about myself but I’m kind of boring. I have a bunch of creative-type hobbies. Moved a few months ago to a town I don’t know at all, which has been weird, especially during lockdown. Work in IT looking after various systems and contracts… And that’s about as interesting as I get lol.

20 Likes

Welcome to purple side of Arch . :blush: :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for giving EndeavourOS a whirl. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

4 Likes

Welcome Aboard!

4 Likes

I hate to say it, as there’s a lot of judgement that goes on, but I dye my hair stupid colours sometimes when the mood takes me. And yes, some of my hair is that exactly purple colour right now. I’m old, I’m a proper grownup, I swear. Live alone and have a responsible job and pay my bills and everything.

Doesn’t stop me being a childish idiot, though :joy:

10 Likes

Welcome @Clementine

3 Likes

Welcome to the fun forum @Clementine :partying_face: :tada: :balloon:

3 Likes

Welcome! Enjoy your time here!

2 Likes

Welcome :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :beers:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :beers:

3 Likes

Welcome, have fun! :enos: :partying_face:

2 Likes

Hey! Welcome to the Purple Side! Good to have you with us! Hope the rain isn’t dampening your enthusiasm for EOS! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

English person in Scotland? How are you coping with the language barrier?

5 Likes

I guess there is no problem on his side, If there is a problem at all, then it’s on the english side. :wink:

Scnr

2 Likes

Not at all! Of course I’ve now configured my desktop to a dark and purple theme lol. With the logo as my menu icon. I’m weird in that my whole desktop has to be perfectly right or I can’t focus. I’ve been that way for years.

2 Likes

I got used to it. Although some of the words and phrases threw me at first. “Is that you?”

Baffled me. What does that even mean? What is the appropriate response? “No, it’s not me, it’s a clone of me?” “No, it’s someone else who looks like me?” Someone had to explain that it sort of meant “are you away now?”

I remember answering the phone to someone taking all these harsh incomprehensible syllables and having to confess I couldn’t understand a single thing the dude was saying. I passed the call to someone else, who said afterwards, “He’s a weegie. You’ll get used to the accent, lass.”

A few years later I was on the phone to someone from England. I don’t remember what they said, but I replied “Aye ah ken.” I didn’t understand why they laughed. Apparently me saying things like that in my stupid very-English accent is hilarious to both English and Scottish people :joy: My best friend in England was baffled the first time I asked her how the bairns are. And I cannot believe I ever lived without lorne sausage and stovies and softies.

5 Likes

Ooh a fellow trekkie! Nice to meet you!

2 Likes

It took me a while to understand the pronounciation of the letter J, especially when saying just that letter on its own… :slight_smile:

In 1995 I rented a semi-detached house in Watton, Norfolk and phoned the gas company to have the gas connected. A Scot answered the phone. I explained what I needed and she responded with a lengthy reply. The only word I understood was the last one: “OK?” I asked her to repeat that, and again I only understood: “OK?” I asked her–very politely–to hit the high points one more time. Again I only caught the “OK?” at the end. Defeated, I finally said “OK.” I don’t know what I agreed to but the gas came on and I started receiving a bill.

3 Likes